Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky tonight

Options
  • 25-07-2009 5:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Looking from tallaght tonght.. after alot of drinks. what are the two bright stars i can see. bottle and smoke in hand facinated by all this ****. explain please. seen the shuttle launch last week and was unreal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

They'd just be stars?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Ricky91t wrote: »
    They'd just be stars?:pac:

Nope, the two brightest yokes up there are planets not stars (Venus and Jupiter probably) ;). Sirius is the brightest star.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Could have been the moon depending on how much drink he had, one moon, lots of drink = two smaller bright objects :D

Anyway planets most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

What you seen was Sirius I think, usually in the coming months over the winter you will see a brighter object which will be Venus, Jupiter also shows itself around this time of year. I actually seen it through my bathroom window in the early hours also and thought Venus must be back, I use a program named Stellarium it shows the entire sky at night, make sure you use Dublin as your location, it's a fascinating bit of software.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

It certainly wasn't the moon. Some hangover. The two planets(stars) were clearly visible as the sun were rising so though they were planets for def. Was a lovely clear night. Whats the best way of getting more involved with the whole astronomy kind of thing. Any recommendations of what type of telescope and what money a begginer would expect to splash out out on for something half decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Sirius is below the horizon until well after sunrise. Capella to the north or Jupiter to the south maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Jupiter would be the very bright object in the south. You won't see Sirius in all its glory for some months to come yet, so the other can't have been that. Venus is up before sunrise, so that is what the other object was.
    zidewayz wrote:
    It certainly wasn't the moon. Some hangover. The two planets(stars) were clearly visible as the sun were rising so though they were planets for def. Was a lovely clear night. Whats the best way of getting more involved with the whole astronomy kind of thing. Any recommendations of what type of telescope and what money a begginer would expect to splash out out on for something half decent.

The best piece of advice is to start with a pair of binoulcars. A set of 10 x 50 is what to get. Get yourself a good star atlas in any good bookshop. Use those two things to get to know the sky before even starting to think of a telescope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Ya must ahve been fecking freezing lying on the ground all night lol

Advertisement