Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xcopy command

Options
  • 25-07-2009 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭

I'm using XP Pro & trying to run the xcopy command but can't get it to work.

I'm trying to use it to copy a DVD in (Drive D:\) to a Pen Drive (Drive H:\)

I'm also using the /e & /f switches

This is how I'm typing it

xcopy d:\ h:\ /e /f

Everytime I run it from the command prompt I get the following message,

Unable to create directory – H:\

What am I doing wrong?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

maybe try adding wild card

xcopy d:\ h:\* /e /f

xcopy d:\ h:\*.* /e /f

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

maybe try adding wild card

xcopy d:\ h:\* /e /f

xcopy d:\ h:\*.* /e /f

No joy there either but thanks for the reply :)

I even tried it straight without the switches but it still returns

Unable to create directory – H:\
    0 file(s) copied

-

Edit:

I've tried this on 3 different machines now & the result is the same.

The only thing in common with all machines is that they are all XP Pro SP3

I wonder if SP3 is causing it?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I decided as it was not able to create the directory on the pen drive (Drive H:) that I would try the xcopy command but this time copying from the DVD drive (Drive D:\) to a folder on the PC and that worked no problem.

Tried it once more with a different pen drive & again it failed.

Why doesn't xcopy seem to want to write to a pen drive? :confused:

-

• Registered Users Posts: 30,087 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

weird... maybe disabling fast removal of the key, under the properties of the drive... really not sure though

weird... maybe disabling fast removal of the key, under the properties of the drive... really not sure though

I had tried that too but no lick.

I'm going to change the drive letter assigned to the pen drive & see?

I know it sounds crazy but could xcopy have an issue with a drive assigned a drive letter as high a H:\?

I'm running out of ideas now myself :(

-

• Advertisement

Solved:

Ghost Train,

You were so on the right track with your mention of using the wild card * ;)

Thanks for your efforts ;)

This is why I was unable to carry out the xcopy command to a Pen Drive.

Using xcopy to copy the contents of a CD/DVD to a Pen Drive:

It is wise to give the full path when using xcopy as DOS sometimes gets confused when you try to xcopy to an external drive such as a Pen Drive.

If you want to xcopy from a DVD disc in your DVD drive to a drive on your hard disc this xcopy command will work fine. xcopy d: c: /e /f (assuming that D:\ is your DVD drive & C: is your hard drive).

However if you try to do it to a pen drive (assuming that D:\ is your DVD drive & H:\ is your Pen Drive) using xcopy d: h: e/ f/
    it will give the following error

Unable to create directory – h:
    0 file(s) copied

However, if you use the full path like the line below it will work fine.

xcopy d:\*.* h:\*.* /e /f

Solution:

Thanks again Ghost Train for your input.

-

Advertisement