Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Psuedo-history (and Egyptian too)

Options
  • 24-07-2009 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

If the mods think this would be better in the skeptic forum feel free to move it but I personally believe that here is a more suitable space for it. Also I remember there was a previous thread somewhere on Boards.ie about psuedo-history but it concentrated on holocaust denial.

Anyway I was looking up Akhenaten online and I came across references to the mythical Scota being his daughter. The exact identity of Scota in these sources seems to vary, I've found references to her being Meritaten or Ankhesenamun.

Does anybody know who first proposed this theory?

regards
    Chris

P.S.
    For info on Scota http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scota

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Irish myths were quite international, taking heritage from Spain, Greece, and a number of other countries. Imo it might have had a lot to do with the time when the myths were resurrected, the late 19th century, and the people who rewrote them. Standish O'Grady for instance (re)wrote the Cuchulainn myth as a warning to other members of the Ascendency class as I understand it. I'm sorry I can't say who came up with the idea of Scota though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I also seem to recall that in some literature Tara or Tamhra is named after the daughter of an Egyptian pharoh or some such person and is allegedly buried under An Forradh.

I will try to dig out a reference...

I think it's a bit like all royalty trying to link into a Biblical or classical lineage in order to increase status and such.

Advertisement