Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mind Control

Options
  • 24-07-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

This is a bit mad. Theres a toy coming on to the market which lets people control a ball with their minds (using technology of course):

http://wimp.com/realitycontrol/

Makes one wonder that even if you did witness someone first hand doing mad mind over matter things, you'd have to wonder if they were concealing some kind of similar, but refined, device

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

That's not as spectacular as they make it out to be.

They have something similar, "Mindball", in the Science Gallery in Trinity College.

They seem to have found that some property of brain waves is greatly increased when you relax and concentrate on something, the electrodes pick up on this and move the ball.

I'm pretty sure there's currently no way to control more than one thing, i.e. if you hooked the electrodes up to more than one ball, you couldn't concentrate on one or the other and make either levitate independently of one another.

There's also the issue that the conductivity of your forehead interferes with devices like these :p

In short, this is almost certainly not something used to fool people into thinking that something paranormal has occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Also check out this experiment
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-cpcoIJbOU

A monkey was trained to use a joystick to move a cursor on a screen. Electrodes were planted in the monkey's brain and it was hooked up to a computer and on to a robotic arm. As the monkey moved the joystick, the computer analysed the brain signals and used them to move the robotic arm in the same way as the monkey's. Then the monkey stopped moving its arm for a while, but the robotic arm kept moving because the monkey realised it could just use its mind to move the cursor!

I didn't explain it well, but the experiment has pretty profound implications for cripples, prosthetics, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I love science.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Dave! wrote: »
    Also check out this experiment
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-cpcoIJbOU

A monkey was trained to use a joystick to move a cursor on a screen. Electrodes were planted in the monkey's brain and it was hooked up to a computer and on to a robotic arm. As the monkey moved the joystick, the computer analysed the brain signals and used them to move the robotic arm in the same way as the monkey's. Then the monkey stopped moving its arm for a while, but the robotic arm kept moving because the monkey realised it could just use its mind to move the cursor!

I didn't explain it well, but the experiment has pretty profound implications for cripples, prosthetics, etc.
    did you see the experiment with the rat, a living creature under control, it was almost like a remote control car moving in any direction the person wanted.
    i might add it has implications for good and for bad things too many to name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I saw a programme years ago about mind control and the idea of a Manchurian Candidate.They showed experiments from the 1950s in which a device was inserted into to brain of bull.It could be stopped on command using a remote control.
    As regards the mind controlling mass,the whole poltergeist phenomenon believed to be just so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement