Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake an Image experiment

Options
  • 24-07-2009 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Danny posted a great thread in the other part of the forum on a 'wedding day ghost' - an image with an apparent ghost in it.

It got me thinking of how some people might purposely make a fake image and then actively seek out people and websites online to 'analyise' it for them with the intention of 15 mins of cyberfame. This has made me wonder how easy is this to do and could we make a fake image as an experiment to gauge just how people would react.

Now I should have been organised here and actually have made some sort of image to start the ball rolling, but im obviously not that organised as I havent.

To conclude, this is what I think the experiment will entail (please add anything ive missed)

1) Create an image
    We could mess around with ideas collectively and see what we can come up with
    2) Create a story
    The picture would need a history and story attached to it
    3) Spam it around the web
    Again, this could be a collective thing, but I'd defintely be up for making a youtube vid about it, asking people to give their views, submitting it to parnormal websites etc etc
    4) Success would be reckoned through the response (or lack of such) we get
    The basic question to answer is just how guillible are we as a society? We can all say people are or arent, but it'd be a way of getting our own results to answer the question. Personally I'd go for 'very'. If on the other hand we got very little in way of results, then it just proves we're not that good at marketing :pac:

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

what is 'trolling on a big scale'?

Im on about photoshopping an image btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

iamhunted wrote: »
    what is 'trolling on a big scale'?

"Spamming it around the web"

Most websites have official or unofficial codes of conduct similar to Boards. I imagine they would not take kindly to someone mass posting of a fake photograph simply to see if they can trick people into believing it.

I couldn't see this going down particularly well on the Paranormal forum, I doubt it would go down well on most other websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

It would be an amusing experiment but ultimately pointless.
    I think a person would have to be pretty gullible to accept a photo as evidence of a ghost or other phenomena.
    Anyone with a level head knows how easily photos are faked and tampered with.

They're amusing to look at, it's fun to see an image and think "maybe, maybe it could be genuine." But I imagine that most people accept that it's impossible to know. (Unless they took it themselves).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I can tamper with the photo YOU take. Without knowing you have the camera or touching it. I posted how this is done and then deleted the post as I thought it might be a bad idea.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We already know loads of photos are faked. All this experiment would do, imo, is add our junk to an already full bucket of junk. :) It would prove little except what we already know, that some people believe everything, some believe nothing and most are somewhere in between.

I dislike very much setting it up here as a somewhat boards endorsed experiment. Its just not cricket, guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement