Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescription sunglasses for bad eyesight?

Options
  • 24-07-2009 9:00pm

I have quite bad eyesight and have a pair of glasses with the high index glass. I was wondering though about sunglasses. Would I be able to get one of the cooler pairs? The ones with the mirrored glass? Or would I be stuck with unfashionable ones because of my poor vision?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Depends on just how bad your vision is and how much you want to spend.
    You can get really nice sunglasses and get high index lenses in them but they are expensive and probably out of the range for alot of them.
    I remember looking at prescription Oakleys online but I think they only went up to -6 possibly -8 so they were little use to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

You can get far more variety if you went for High-Index plastic, You can go as far as 1.74(index) Plastic with a Full Sun Tint. Glass can go to 1.9(index)however, you have more of a chance to get a mirrored tint with plastic. Also Plastic is a lot lighter than Glass and depending on how the Glass tint has been made, it can look like a lesser quality tint to a plastic.
    Like the post above has said, it all depends on your prescripton. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭Shamanic

you can actually only go as far 1.67 with a full sun tint, and in glass the tint depth is only 1, so it wouldn't be suitable as a sunglass

Advertisement