Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1940s AUNC Irish Penny

Options
  • 24-07-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hello all,
    I recently camer across a 1940s AUNC Irish Penny. I have been told that out of all Irish Copper/bronze coins that this one is worth the most, specially in this condition. The only thing is I can't find anywhere to sell it. Can anybody help me out with the best advice on where to sell it.

P.s. Ive tried taking pictures to put it on ebay but you cant even see its a coin in the pictures, just looks like a shiney disk.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks a lot everyone,
    Roe

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Only being a casual coin collector - ie no real knowledge of the subject - I checked on eBay tonight and I see a 1940 Irish penny for sale for €5.00 (no bids) see details here below. Perhaps it is the same as yours? What does AUNC stand for as when I googled it I got this: ABERDEEN UNIVERSITY NETBALL CLUB ?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Eire-1940-penny-Scarce-and-nice_W0QQitemZ380141812028QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Coins_European_RL?hash=item588237b93c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1301%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

www.collectireland.blogspot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 CYCC

That one you posted the link to is in pretty bad condition.
    AUNC means Almost Uncirculated, refering to its condition.

Heres a web link to a list of Irish Coin valuations you might like to grade your own collection.

http://www.irishcoinage.com/MODCAT.HTM#4stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks for that link. AUNC - well you learn something new every day but will I remember it? I collect all sorts of things but with coins I have always just kept any that take my fancy or that come with other things in a Lot at an auction. However, I really do fancy a nice piece of Gun Money from 1689/90 - a real piece of Irish history - and they come up on eBay quite regularly but good coins are very pricey indeed. I doubt whether many of poor old King James's coins were AUNC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

CYCC,

you can alsways put the coin on a scanner and scan the two sides in. Or take a picture with a good macro function on your camera and without the flash.

Preusse wrote: »
    CYCC,

you can alsways put the coin on a scanner and scan the two sides in. Or take a picture with a good macro function on your camera and without the flash.

Thanks Preusse, unfortunately I dont have a scanner and the camera is a phone camera so no flash. I was hoping there was a shop I could just bring it into to sell, you know, one with an honest shop keeper.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that link. AUNC - well you learn something new every day but will I remember it? I collect all sorts of things but with coins I have always just kept any that take my fancy or that come with other things in a Lot at an auction. However, I really do fancy a nice piece of Gun Money from 1689/90 - a real piece of Irish history - and they come up on eBay quite regularly but good coins are very pricey indeed. I doubt whether many of poor old King James's coins were AUNC. :D

Id be very careful buying from ebay, I heard from several different people that most ebay coins are counterfeit

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

CYCC wrote: »
    Id be very careful buying from ebay, I heard from several different people that most ebay coins are counterfeit

But it isn't such a problem with Irish coins as they don't get targetted by modern counterfeiters. This has been discussed on some other threads here if you want read back.

Anyway about your coin, grading really means nothing in this instance as we don't know who graded it AUNC. Also American AUNC is a lower grade than an Irish/UK AUNC. They grade differently. One man's XF is another man's VF. As regards the 1940 Pennies unless they have original lustre (the more the better) they won't be anything to write home about, even at the very top of the scale a true AUNC with no lustre I would value at about 20-30 Euro retail. A dealer wouldn't give you that, your best bet is to get a very sharp and close up photo of both sides and put it up on ebay.ie. You might also show us the photo if you want our opinion.

Advertisement