Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mondeo knocking noise

Options
  • 24-07-2009 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Noticed a slight knocking noise coming from the rear right wheel over light bumps. Its been getting a bit louder.

Likely causes?

I can jack it up and have a look. What should i be checking for?

02 1.8 petrol mondeo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Anti Roll bar bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

quarryman wrote: »
    Noticed a slight knocking noise coming from the rear right wheel over light bumps. Its been getting a bit louder.

Likely causes?

I can jack it up and have a look. What should i be checking for?

02 1.8 petrol mondeo
    Whats the milage? If the milage is high it could be the subframe bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Plug wrote: »
    Whats the milage? If the milage is high it could be the subframe bushes.

about to hit 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

I had a similar knocking problem on mine, it was the bracket securing the handbrake cable to the rear trailing arm had perished and the cable would occasionally catch against the side of the arm. I lashed a jubilee clip around it. if you look under the car near the jacking point below the rear door you will be able to see if its the same problem. No need to jack up the car you can clearly see it from the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Could be the cable as he said. Also could be one of the subframe bushes. one or the other. i had the 2 on mine!.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I had 101 bushes changed after 'expert' interweb advice

:rolleyes:

not just here mind you

turned out to be top suspension, not too unlike the spring that whacked into messa

give the rear a really good shaking up and down and you could hear the knock... from whatever side its coming from ovbiously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Anti Roll bar bushes.

Thats what it was on my beloved Mondy estate.. Its a short anti roll bar with drop links each side. The right one was snookered.. They are €29.50 from memory..!

I think the estate is different but

I had a similar knocking problem on mine, it was the bracket securing the handbrake cable to the rear trailing arm had perished and the cable would occasionally catch against the side of the arm. I lashed a jubilee clip around it. if you look under the car near the jacking point below the rear door you will be able to see if its the same problem. No need to jack up the car you can clearly see it from the ground.

late getting back on this one but went out a few days ago to have a look and sure enough this is what it turned out to the be. There's is definate play in the handbrake cable surround, i'll tie it up and job done.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

If it is a slack handbrake cable (Happened me 1 week after buying my first mondeo )- 1 large cable-tie will stop the handbrake cable from whacking against the rear axle assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

My focus does that from time to time. Neither myself nor my mechanic can pin it down.

• Advertisement

gyppo wrote: »
    If it is a slack handbrake cable (Happened me 1 week after buying my first mondeo )- 1 large cable-tie will stop the handbrake cable from whacking against the rear axle assembly.

yep. definately cheaper than diagnosing and then fixing a more serious suspension issue.

Advertisement