Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Already the wettest July on record at Dublin Airport

Options
  • 24-07-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=22

The July 2009 rainfall total for the Met Éireann station at Dublin Airport has reached 147.8 mm (up to midnight on 23rd) making this the wettest July at this station since records began in 1942 and there’s still a week of July left to go. The previous wettest July was in 1960 when we had 139.8 mm. The July average at Dublin Airport is 50 mm so it seems likely that we will see 3 times the average rainfall by the end of the month. Compare this with July 2006 when we had only 18.2 mm, about one third of average and not so long ago.

There has been very heavy rainfall in all areas and other stations may also set records by the end of the month.

We are just over half way through the summer ( Meteorological Summer is June, July and August ) and, although the first half has been very wet, it is too early to speculate on how wet the summer will be overall. Last year, the August rainfall in many areas was as much as June and July put together and this would need to happen again for Summer 2009 to be on a par with 2008, 2007 or 1958.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

octo wrote: »

The July 2009 rainfall total for the Met Éireann station at Dublin Airport has reached 147.8 mm (up to midnight on 23rd) making this the wettest July at this station since records began in 1942 and there’s still a week of July left to go. The previous wettest July was in 1960 when we had 139.8 mm. The July average at Dublin Airport is 50 mm so it seems likely that we will see 3 times the average rainfall by the end of the month. Compare this with July 2006 when we had only 18.2 mm, about one third of average and not so long ago.

There has been very heavy rainfall in all areas and other stations may also set records by the end of the month.

We are just over half way through the summer ( Meteorological Summer is June, July and August ) and, although the first half has been very wet, it is too early to speculate on how wet the summer will be overall. Last year, the August rainfall in many areas was as much as June and July put together and this would need to happen again for Summer 2009 to be on a par with 2008, 2007 or 1958.

From my position of ignorance, we have been lucky in terms of gaps between showers. In 2007 and 2008 there was some days of incessant rain, with no let up from morning till night. We have not had that yet, but the weather has been quite schizophrenic in July. Take today, two major bouts of rain, thunder and lightning, and NOW, im considering going and cutting the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Het-Field wrote: »
    From my position of ignorance, we have been lucky in terms of gaps between showers. In 2007 and 2008 there was some days of incessant rain, with no let up from morning till night. We have not had that yet, but the weather has been quite schizophrenic in July. Take today, two major bouts of rain, thunder and lightning, and NOW, im considering going and cutting the grass.

Better be quick, before the next two bouts that have just passed over me heading your direction arrive...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

octo wrote: »

Last year, the August rainfall in many areas was as much as June and July put together and this would need to happen again for Summer 2009 to be on a par with 2008, 2007 or 1958.

unfortunately, i can't see that happening. even if the (NAO) doesn't go into negative territory

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Still better than last years summer in my view, when we seemed to get day after day of persistent rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Showers beat drizzle every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

Still better than last years summer in my view, when we seemed to get day after day of persistent rain.

agreed! prob the wettest but also the warmest/sunniest in a while too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

we had deluges every day for almost three weeks in may of this year , where i live , may 2009 was worse than the three months for last summer put together

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    we had deluges every day for almost three weeks in may of this year , where i live , may 2009 was worse than the three months for last summer put together

Where are you living, out of interest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

Where are you living, out of interest?

north leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'll never forget how horrendous July 07 and August 08 were. This month has been far more pleasant, rainfall amounts or not. Speaking of dry weather, I think the lawn needs a cutting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Sigh

_46128865_july_weather_466.gif

I'm just real curious about what if any trends might be occuring over the past years and the ****ty summers.

You Suck! wrote: »
    I'm just real curious about what if any trends might be occuring over the past years and the ****ty summers.

Maybe we should encourage the release of greenhouse gasses by reducing taxes on things like petrol, diesel, kerosene, :pac:

and of course encourage particulate filters and things like that to limit anythin that is causing a dimming effect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

moe_sizlak wrote: »

May was incredibly wet here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

AFAIK, the jetstream has been hanging around at way too low a latitude, and all the low pressure thas been coming in over Ireland instead of going up to Iceland, as it should if the weather was normal. Still, its hardly the first crappy summer in Ireland and its certainly not the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

Maybe we should encourage the release of greenhouse gasses by reducing taxes on things like petrol, diesel, kerosene, :pac:

and of course encourage particulate filters and things like that to limit anythin that is causing a dimming effect :)

Confusing temperature and rainfall there, no....?

Advertisement