Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to retreive a WEP key

• 24-07-2009 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

hi, i have a new laptop and want to connect to my wireless network at home but my problem is i lost the wep key and have no idea what it is.
    how do i retreive it?
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

just login and reset it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

what make is the router you use. you should be able to connect to the router via a ethernet cable and check the wep key in the routers configuration page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

popey21 wrote: »
    what make is the router you use. you should be able to connect to the router via a ethernet cable and check the wep key in the routers configuration page.

its a d-link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I used to have a dlink, the address was 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 the username was admin and no password. Just connect to the router using an ethernet cable and type one of those IP addresses into your web browser.

All going well you should be able to find the WEP key under wireless settings!

If not, restart the router by pushing a pen or a pin into the reset button on the back, you may have to re enter some settings (depending on your network) but there will be no wep security and you will be able to connect (obviously, re-enable security when you get it sorted :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

If so then download and run wirelesskeyview on that computer it will list all the access codes for any accesspoint the machine has been connected to then just type that in to the new machine.

Handy !!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 DaveyByrne

Don't use WEP - it can be easily hacked. I know people who routinely do it.

What's more... WPA can now be hacked... so the only save wireless encryption to use are WPA2 and AES.

If you old router doesn't support this, either update the firmware, or throw it away and buy a new one...

I'm very serious when I say that people are always hacking wireless routers - it's incredibly easy, and it will compromise your entire network. People will start downloading contraband via your network so that they can't be traced...

Advertisement