Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your facts straight

Options
  • 24-07-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

This annoys me about journalists.

The news is supposed to be a factual representation of the days events.

now how can you believe anything written in the papers is true when journalists cant even get the simplest of facts right

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0724/wexford.html

for example it says a "jcb" digger was responsible for smashing out the atm. where its clear from the picture it is a daewoo .

Get your facts right

rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Oh FFS same story, 2 f*ck ups

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0725/1224251305640.html

NISSAN PAJERO!!!???!!!

Its a Mitsubishi Pajero!

And the Daewoo Jcb digger again.

Sure they could have arrived on a horse and cart used a food processor to break the wall down and escaped on a pink elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I didn't see the original RTE story but "the wall have ears" !

Have a look at the rte story now, it now reads "A nearby digger was used in the raid" sans JCB!

The 'paper of record' are sticking to the JCB incident - the lady is not for turning

yeah they changed it alright!!!!

making me look like a fool after i made them look like a fool. i will show them!!!

ha ha

IRE60 wrote: »
    I didn't see the original RTE story but "the wall have ears" !

Have a look at the rte story now, it now reads "A nearby digger was used in the raid" sans JCB!

The 'paper of record' are sticking to the JCB incident - the lady is not for turning

if they had balls they would have said "a nearby daewoo digger"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Come on guys, a "JCB" is a common term for a digger just like Hoover is for a vacuum cleaner!! It hardly makes the story factually incorrect!

• Advertisement

why did they add a useless fact then. they could have just said digger.

anyway nissan pajero! thats a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

BrianD wrote: »
    Come on guys, a "JCB" is a common term for a digger just like Hoover is for a vacuum cleaner!! It hardly makes the story factually incorrect!

I know an Adman that went through a presentation, pitching for an account, describing the potential clients’ apparatus as a ‘Hoover’.

At the end of his pitch the potential client (impolitely) told him that Hoover were they largest competitor and if he wanted to work for them he could get a contact for him.

JCB=JCB

And to absolutely pedantic about this, pictured is actually referred to in the trade as an excavator, not a digger.

Personally I blame TV and mainly Bob the Builder on slip shod references to construction equipment.

yes you are right it is more commonly known as an excavator. digger though in this case is acceptable as the writer obviously does not know too much about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

OP, I've learned to just switch off about things like this. It used to depress me, to be honest, the way that some things are reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yeah but you don't jcb with a digger you dig with it, you can hoover with a dyson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

yeah but you don't jcb with a digger you dig with it, you can hoover with a dyson

No you can't. You can vacuum clean with a Dyson vacuum cleaner. Nothing else (unless you're 15 and curious).

Advertisement