Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The human body literally glows

Options
  • 24-07-2009 1:10am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The human body literally glows, emitting a visible light in extremely small quantities at levels that rise and fall with the day, scientists now reveal.....
    Link to news article (and link to original published article)

I find this very interesting given that it shows a number of parrallels with the concept of an aura. Obviously the body glowing with visible light (well, visible spectrum light) is one. The fact that it rises and falls through the day is another. It is also linked to the metabolism and it is suggested that it could be used in the diagnosis of medical conditions.

It does mention that the light is significantly (1,000 times) less intense than we can normally see, but I think I read something else recently that claimed we can actually see things significantly less intense than previously though, I'll have to try and dig that up again.

Either way, strikingly similar to auras.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

good post - thats interesting

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It would be the beginning of some kind of explanation of auras, but what would you reckon is behind people actually seeing them, given that these results show the light to be so faint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

stevenmu wrote: »
    It does mention that the light is significantly (1,000 times) less intense than we can normally see, but I think I read something else recently that claimed we can actually see things significantly less intense than previously though, I'll have to try and dig that up again.

Either way, strikingly similar to auras.

If you find that post it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Shouldn't this be in a science forum? If science found that human bodies emit light then this is science, not paranormal.

aye, but it may/maynot explain something that is considered presently to be paranormal - if anywhere it would probably suit the skeptics forum.

• Advertisement

Well the problem there is that by definition as soon as something can be measured and shown to exist, it is in the realm of science and not paranormal.

again true, but this hasnt proven that auras are what they are reporting on, nor explain how people claim to see them.

Everytime i see IAMHUNTED he is positively glowing.

damned radioactivity.

iamhunted wrote: »
    damned radioactivity.

I blame society.

Anyway, neither myself nor the source mentioned auras? And auras are supposed to be...well, somewhat luminous, right? The study was talking about individual photons, so I don't really see how people can make that leap. I think it's a case of "here's the conclusion, what facts can we find to support it?" as opposed to "here's the facts, what conclusions can we draw from them?".

• Advertisement

Anyway, neither myself nor the source mentioned auras?

The only relation the topic has to the paranormal is auras so I assumed that when you mentioned it being in the realm of science and not paranormal, that you were referring to auras as the 'it'.

Advertisement