Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentists in Sligo

Options
  • 23-07-2009 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Do you know that, at this moment there are no Dentists in Sligo Town that will treat medical card holders. Even the emergency dentist up in Markievicz House has stopped taking people because of disputes with the Government.
    This is awful, is it only Sligo being targetted like this?
    You pay tax for all of your working life, then at a time of need you can't even get to see a dentist on a medical card in Sligo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 barr toco

hi,

ya this is not good, thank god im not effected by this but im sorry for your situation, as you say people who have worked all their lives and payed their taxes, and then tough times come your way and you get know assistance, the only thing i would say is i know of a dentist who is NOT expensive at all, i have had a lot of work done from him this year and i was very happy with the prices, i dont know if this will help you but maybe it might,

he is doctor klocker out beside lissadell, if you want his number private message me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 looking4reason

I was wondering about this a couple of months ago myself...

Unfortunately it is a national problem and by the looks of things, will only get worse.

The HSE / Government have made it impossible for mine and other dentists to work and provide treatment on the medical card scheme. The Government see this as a way to save money.

They will be cutting the PRSI scheme next. I've noticed that it was mentioned in the An Bord Snip Report. It begs the question. What are we paying PRSI contributions for, if they take away all the benefits?

I would go back to the Markievicz House and demand treatment, as you entitled to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Thanks barr toco, I have a dentist close to home, so I could easily get seen by one. It's just mainly the people who can't travel out of the town to see a dentist on the medical card and who can't afford to go see one out of pocket.
    I wonder if they will sort something out in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Gomer Pyle

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Gomer Pyle wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is still the case?

The only treatment now on the medical card is one check up visit per year & emergency treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Gomer Pyle

Thanks MoonDancer.

About ten years since I last had a medical card..
    More trips to Enniskillen so.

Must be a lot of work/money flowing across the border because of this and dental costs in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jameskil

Is this still the case does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

As far as I know the dentist in Tubbercurry treats medical card patients. I don't have any details though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Bump, are there still none in Sligo town that take a medical card?

I'm not sure, but I know there is a dentist in Tubbercurry that takes medical card holders. Markievicz house has an emergency clinic on at 10am Monday to Friday. I think they also treat routine visits for medical card holders two. (Not sure on what you get now, but I know if you are in pain you can get fillings and extractions on the card)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I got wisdom tooth taken out lady year in markezic house and was given a list of dentists who will take medical card, if you call up there and ask for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I got wisdom tooth taken out last year in markezic house and was given a list of dentists who will take medical card, you could call up there and ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Dr Byrne on Wine street does I found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I heard that Stephen Campbell on Wolfetone Street does medical card patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

Does anyone still know if this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

Does anyone still know if this is the case?

Advertisement