Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Job or Green Masters?

Options
  • 23-07-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I am a Mechanical Eng Grad fresh out of college. I have interest in Renewables and I have been offered a graduate position in a Biomass CHP company.

I have also been offered a one year taught Masters in Renewable energy.

I don't know which one to pick. The Biomass company is small(15 people) and the engineering department is currently just one other grad engineer who just started 2 months ago. The job would be based on site monitoring a new Biomass machine they have developed. I would have to live near the new machine(in the middle of nowhere) for a year and be on call 24/7. I don't know what the money is like be I doubt it will be fantastic, they know they can get a grad engineer cheap these days.

I'm working for an energy company at the mo. Wind turbines(max 25kW) and PV(max 100kW) I'm doing it part-time and mostly from home , writing reports and doing some CAD modeling, I set up the monitoring systems on site for them too.The moneys not very good but I can keep my job with this company while I do my masters.

Most people are telling me to take the job. It wasn't easy getting it more than 20 people got interviewed and there 3 interview stages they made us jump through hoops.

However I know a few lads with experience in the energy sector and they say that a masters in green energy is highly sought after especially on the continent where the money is excellent. I will get my grant for the masters too. I know if I Take the job I'll probably never go back into full time education.

I think if I do the masters I'll be able to demand more money in the long run and it would open a lot of doors for me. I'm confident I'll get a job when I finish it, the sector is booming!

So if there is any experienced engineers out there with some advice I'm all ears!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Hey.

If you can work your current job while doing the masters then do it. There are hundreds of mechanical engineers who graduate with a degree every year, there will only be a handful of graduates with a Masters in Renewable Energy.
    It's only for a year so you will be gaining a higher qualification in a field that has huge potential and will open doors to you here and anywhere in the world that you want to go.
    This one job with the Biomass company is just a job. The engineering department consists of one other graduate? What and who are you going to learn from there?
    If you do one more year and get your masters you won't be jumping through hoops to get jobs. Companies will be coming to you.
    Do the masters. Work your ass off and be the best in the class. My other advice is, if you have the time learn a language. Even a beginners course and have it on your cv. Again, just something to open more doors for you.

I've been working as an engineer since I left college 6 years ago. Life becomes hectic and although I find time to do short courses (1-2 evenings a week for 10 weeks) it is not possible for me to commit to anything longer. Even a 1 year taught Masters so if you have the opportunity now then take it. As I said, companies will still be there next year to offer you a job but if you take the Biomass job now then the masters won't be there as an option this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Ball_of_Sex

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

OP, if you don't mind me asking, which college is the masters in?

Advertisement