Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantasm

Options
  • 23-07-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

I watched the 4 of these back to back recently and I have to say,I love them more now than I did when I saw them first many moons ago.I dont know what it is about them but rate all 4 of them at 8/10 minumum.The Tall Man is also one of the most sinister horror villains in cinema history.
    Constantly menacing without doing SFA which you simply dont get anymore.

Ive been hoping for a long time that Coscarelli will finish the series off but IIRC he cant get the budget together for a fifth and final instalment.

What do the rest of you think of this franchise?

Comments

I love the franchise as I've stated on here many times. The Tall Man is one of the few 80s horror icons who didn't become a joke as the series ran on. They would want to get working on part 5 asap as Angus Scrimm isn't getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Watched all 4 of these for the first time recently back to back and was pretty impressed. Pleasantly mixes in a bit of comedy there too to break up the film.

For such a simple looking character the tall man is brilliantly scary.
    I really love the scene at the end of 1 where he appears in the mirror over the kids shoulder when he closes out the door

Is that new film "I sell the dead" a part of the series or something completely different

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Of all the horror franchises out there, Phantasm is the only one of the lot where every installment is a good watch in its own right. The fact that they all tell one big story and mesh together properly just makes them even better.

I would love to see a final film having read the rumours about one from years ago, but given the talk about remaking the entire franchise as a trilogy (I think this was being discussed around the time when Bubba Hotep came out) I'd rather just have the four films as they stand. OblIVion works as an ending to the series, even if it is downbeat.

Must dig out the boxset and rewatch the four of them back to back sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Love this franchise and thankfully the plans for the remake have been scrapped, can't imagine anyone other than Angus Scrim as the tall man.

A 5th and final installment would be great, but havent heard much about that since 2007 when it was rumored that Anchor Bay (who do a kick-ass box-set of the franchise) were financing the project.

Looking forward to bubba nosferatu, which according to ron perlman is moving forward

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

great news finally..

Advertisement