Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N2 not M1

Options
  • 23-07-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Why do trucks prefer the N2 and not the M1 to get to Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Do you have any data that verifies this? Because that sounds like shenanigans-talk to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

biddyro wrote: »

There is a toll on the M1, none on the N2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Aard wrote: »
    Do you have any data that verifies this? Because that sounds like shenanigans-talk to me.

Here you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Just north of Collon on the N2 you can link up with the M1 via an R road to/from Dunleer and avoid the toll. Its not just trucks. We all do it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Google maps suggests you'd only be on non-DC/motorway road for 42 km. Easy to see why people would do it to avoid the toll, despite having to go through Slane.

If Slane had been bypassed already it would be a complete no-brainer. Plans for Slane bypass are on the 1979 Road Plans for the 1980s (most of the rest of that has been finally built now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If the truck originated in Slane and was going to Finglas, it would be a bit pointless going over to the M1 to get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 biddyro

thank you most interesting. Why do you think then, like in Europe, we do not have any tolls on the exits off the M1?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

thank you most interesting. Why do you think then, like in Europe, we do not have any tolls on the exits off the M1?

We do! But only on a small section. Only certain sections of our motorway network are tolled. On the M1, M4 and M8 this means theres sections with a mainline plaza and further booths on exits during the section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I used to travel to Belfast quite a lot in the '90's and the N2 was always a rat run for trucks. Initially it seems it was to avoid the bottleneck at Drogheda and then I presume to avoid the tolls.

In the past a lot of the trucks would exit the N2 and head over to the N3 via Rathoath and via back roads to the N4 and avoid the tolls and the congestion on the pre e-tolling M50.

I presume that old habits die hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No further money should be spent on upgrading the N2 south of the N33 junction. There is a Motorway about 6km away - the M1.
    It is lunacy to build a parallel motorway to the same place.
    The N2 should be de-trunked and trucks stopped passing Slane and the N51 route through Slane upgraded to bypass the village East West.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Lorries should be completely banned form driving through Slane. The bridge and hills are utterly unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Lorries should be completely banned form driving through Slane. The bridge and hills are utterly unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles. End of.

The hills are no problems I can assure you, although maybe in winter its different :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Might be better to build the Slane Bypass. The ordering of road schemes to try and force trucks to use tolled motorways is very annoying. Especially as the Authorities don't have the courtesy to acknowledge that they are doing exactly that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rev.it.up.betty

Scottie99 wrote: »
    The hills are no problems I can assure you, although maybe in winter its different :D

i beg to differ. just think back to that accident late last march when a truck slammed into a line of cars . it was lucky no one was killed. he lost his brakes, coming down the hill........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i beg to differ. just think back to that accident late last march when a truck slammed into a line of cars . it was lucky no one was killed. he lost his brakes, coming down the hill........:eek:

the hills arent the problem...stopping at the bottom is.....its hazardous and HGVs should be limited on it.

(incidently and off-topic, why is it that Trains have fail safe brakes where the air pressure holds OFF the brakes and road vehicles dont?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rev.it.up.betty

limiting them wont solve the problem... it only takes one out of control hgv to cause carnage.

Advertisement