Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Hissing at Nothing

Options
  • 23-07-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Just something that happened today. My cat stared into the corner of my sitting room and started hissing. What would cause a cat to hiss at thin air? There was nothing at all there.

Any advice would be appreciated

G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Not being funny - but had anything happened in the room recently - do you think your cat saw something that wasn't there for you to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It had gone through my mind but I was hoping for a more down to earth reason :P. I dont like the thought of my house haunted. The cat is 4 years old and this is the first time it has happened in the corner of the sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cats and Foxes. Drives our cat bonkers.

The can pick up a wider spectrum of audio and if there's an animal nearby making a noise that is threatening to yours, it can 'call back' in this way, a reaction of hissing, growling etc.

Audio that could travel a fair old distance and ourselves, as the owner, being oblivious to it.

Drives me to distraction too, himself is in the bed lifting his ears and chattering away everytime he picks up on something worthy of a response..

star-pants wrote: »
    Not being funny - but had anything happened in the room recently - do you think your cat saw something that wasn't there for you to see?

Not being funny, but anyone who believes in ghosts is a fool.

RE: The cat... Uhm, mice in the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Not being funny, but anyone who believes in ghosts is a fool.
    I never said it was a ghost did I? Plus everyone is entitled to believe what they like so don't be rude.

Aye - they do have better hearing so it might have been something that they heard and it came from that direction. They can do it at shadows sometimes too, if a moving leaf catches my pups eye she's on alert. Was there anything weather wise going on? Rain/wind etc, as there might have been a wind noise coming through a vent or something that might have started him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It can also be a usually mundane object that startles the cat because the light catches it a different way, or only a part of it is poking out from behind the couch or something.

One of my guys frightened the daylights out of me one morning. He brother was up the stairs, yowling and fretting, and when I got up to go to Eric, I found Frank, half way down the stairs, every hair on end. When I got up he started, so slowly, full alert, to crawl into the kitchen area. I followed and discovered the front door was open. (This is 5am mind.)

Well now I'm well spooked. I followed the bristling, hunkered cat through the house to the living room, where he fixed on a spot beside the couch (the other side from where we were. I picked up a set of oven gloves, convinced I was going to find a fox or a possum (or possibly a man with a bat, to whom I was going to present an apple pie? the oven gloves were the nearest thing, don't judge me...)

There was:

...nothing there.

Frank may have found something on the outside deck sniffing at the open door and he and whatever it was may have frightened the wits out of each other and ended up going in different directions. He just convinced himself that it had come into the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

maybe if you set up a video camera in your room on the opposite side and point it in the direction its hissing at and leave it there for about 24 hrs and see if anything arises ! :)

**Keep a eye open while you sleep**

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im going with Amalgams theory :D.

Advertisement