Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks, offers...what happens?

Options
  • 23-07-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Supposing that one gets 430 points the course they want is 445 they have a couple of scripts they want re-checked so they get sent off..you get the scripts back and your grades have improved so your ow sitting on 445/450 points.. BUT offers etc have been made....what happens in the following cases....

A. you have already accepted a course, say, your second choice but the new points enable you for your first course?

B. there are no spaces in your first choice course.?

C. it is mid september/october before you get your results back you are in a course settled(but would still prefer first course).?

D. you are repeating the leaving cert and have not accepted any offers????
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

sorry if its all over the place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

RandomIrl wrote: »
    A. you have already accepted a course, say, your second choice but the new points enable you for your first course?
    I think you can switch if there's space for you, not entirely sure on that one

You're deferred to next year

C. it is mid september/october before you get your results back you are in a course settled(but would still prefer first course).?
    No clue Probs the as answer A

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    No idea, sorry. Would like to know as well.
    sorry if its all over the place

Hope it helps in some way...

(Unless things have changed...)

If you get the points on a recheck you'll get offered the course. Some places (Medicine usually) are completely full up so they will offer you a place for next year. Up to you what you do with the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I know 2 people that didn't get there top choices and both decided to get rechecks.
    The first decided to repeat and when the reulst came in October she was offered her 1st place (Primary Teaching in St. Pat's, even though it's usually full).
    The second accepted another course, and after the reults came back was offered her 1st choice also.

If there are places, and you get the points in the recheck seems like you get the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

thanks guys!! hopefully it wont come to rechecks or repeating but its always good to know these things! thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

You get into your first choice if the mistake was in the marking, unlikely you'd go up 15 points though.

They have to let you in, some courses leave spaces aside, most just realise that some drop out and others take those places.

You have a choice. Move or not? Happened me believe it or not, was Oct when my points went up, I didn't move.

Oh. Big mistake really. Take your offer. Decide to go to college or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭the_wheel_turns

RandomIrl wrote: »
    Supposing that one gets 430 points the course they want is 445 they have a couple of scripts they want re-checked so they get sent off..you get the scripts back and your grades have improved so your ow sitting on 445/450 points.. BUT offers etc have been made....what happens in the following cases....

CAO will be informed of the change in your grades by the SEC, and if you are entitled to another course (i.e. your points are higher OR equal to the cut-off point) they will offer you the course. If they cannot accommodate you this year, they will offer you a place for next year's course. It doesn't matter that you've already accepted a place.

This happened to a friend mine. She got 530 in her original Leaving, accepted Law & Arts in Maynooth, got her Geography upgraded from an A2 to an A1, this brought her to 540, she wanted Law in Trinity, cut-off point for this was 535, and so she was offered the place. It so happened that she was accommodated that same year.

You will be offered a place for next year on your first choice course. Usually, with drop-outs and transfers, the colleges can accommodate applicants with upgraded points.

It's mid-October. You can remain on the original course you were offered. An offer will still be made, however, for your first choice. You have the option of either accepting or rejecting this.

You will, as I say, be offered a place on the course. There's no longer a need to repeat!

:D

Advertisement