Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spraying My Car

Options
  • 23-07-2009 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭

Hi,

I have spotted a VW Golf at a local garage. The garage owner says it is in good nick and will give me a warranty with it, the car runs well and is in good condition generally except that the paintwork is deplorable, it's all faded and peeling. Does anyone know what it would cost to have it professionally sprayed? Has anyone ever undertaken the respraying task themselves without any previous experience and if so how did they get on? Any views would be appreciated, I live in Dublin North by the way.

Also, does anyone know of any legal formalities that must be complied with when you change your car colour? I ask because the tax disc gives the car's colour. Do you need to inform the tak office etc?

Johnny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Maybe find yourself a car that is in good condition instead of buying somthing that needs paint. A full respray is 2K plus........ Add that 2k to your budget and buy a decent car that needs nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not worth spraying something like that. Im assuming its faily old & of little value. You could try a cutting compound. It would certainly get rid of the fading. The peeling would still be a problem but it might not look so bad after the work. It woiuld look better than a bad new spray job at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm betting it's red. They fade horribly. A serious polish will having it looking ok, but the peeling lacquer is incurable. Is it a 1.4, 1.6 or a TDI? 1.4 can have gearbox and head problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As others have already said - get something else and avoid all the hassle. Imagine trying to sell that car in the future if the respray is anyway obvious :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No possible way in the world at all you'd manage a successful respray yourself if you have no equipment or experience. Sorry to be negative but its not like painting a wall its a job that requires quite a bit of skill preperation and equipment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I agree with the others posters, you are better of putting the cost of the respray towards a different golf that is in better condition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Yea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^best of luck with it.

Those cars are pretty indestructable.

Advertisement