Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Host unlimited Domains ?

Options
  • 23-07-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a webhost for a few small sites that I'm going to be working on, nothing commercial, just some personal projects, I'd like each different site to have their own unique domain name.

I'm wondering if its possible to host multiple websites on the same host package.

The host I'm looking at (I can name if required) has "Host UNLIMITED Domains (WOW!)" (Their wow, not mine :) )

The terms and conditions has this to say:
    Unlimited Domain Hosting. <snip>.Com does not set arbitrary limits on the number of domain names a Subscriber can associate with the Subscriber's web hosting account.

I'm hoping someone can confirm that this sort of package will give me what I'm looking for.

I'm worried that this just lets you point multiple domains to the same site?

I figure that if you were going to host different domains on the same host you would need to be able to point each domain to a different folder on the host or a different subdomain?
    And if each domain name is pointing to a different subdomain/folder would this be apparent to the user or transparent?
    Would i end up being redirected to mysite2.mysite1.com or mysite1.com/mysite2 ?

Has anyone any experience of this?

I've searched the forum and have found some threads about pointing multiple domain names to the same site but none that clarified my specific query.

The plan is about $8 a month if that helps.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Can't talk about hosts here

But yes a popular irish host will allow you to host many domains on a package

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Thanks, but its not an Irish host that I am looking at.

The hosting multiple domains works as I explained I am looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I see what you mean - no, you should be fine.
    I'm worried that this just lets you point multiple domains to the same site?

That would probably be unlimited domain aliases. Just remember that you would probably want a reseller account if you don't want all the domains accessible to the one user, but that doesn't sound like a problem if these are personal projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Hi Tubes,

firstly most hosts allow you to host more than one domain on an account, it may be 5, 10 20 etc. It is not obvious to visitors to your website that you are hosting several domains.
    For example I have www.domaina.com pointing to a folder called "domaina" on my webspace with its own index.html file and another domain www.domainb.com pointing to a folder called "domainb" on my webspace a user visiting www.domaind.com will not know I am hosting domaina on the same space.

Any hosts I have used create this folder for you when you add a new domain to your webspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

unlimited domains usually means as many domains as you like , but the restriction comes from the amount of webspace on the account. Each domain will create their own directory meaning no one can see how many other domains or what those domains are in your single shared hosting account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement