Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to become a "proper" Data Analyst

Options
  • 23-07-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon,

I hope this is the correct forum for such a request! :o

I am a 28 years old and currently employed in the Call Centre industry. I do a lot of things at present (Resource Planning, Data Analysis, Application Administrator to name but a few) but I would really like to focus on the Data Analysis piece.

I never had the chance to go to College (back in France) so I emigrated to Ireland in 1998 and have worked here ever since. As a result, I have a very limited understanding as to "how 3rd Level Education works".

I left school at the age of 17 with my "Baccalauréat" (Leaving Cert) and would now like to obtain a diploma / degree (not sure what they are called!) that would show my knowledge of SQL, SAS, SPSS, Business Objects (not sure which one yet) as I would like to become a "proper" Data Analyst.

Is it possible to obtain a diploma / degree by doing online / evening courses? Could you recommend a College / Institute / Website? Where should I start? :(

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You would apply as a mature student, given the fact that you are over 23.

You can most certainly do these types of courses in the evening and/or by distance education.

The first thing you need to determine is what kind of course you need to do. In other words, is it an Information Technology/Computing type course, or a mathematics type course (there will be some overlap between the two). Others working in your industry will probably be able to advise you.

The next thing you need to decide is at what level you want to do the course. Level 7 is an Ordinary Degree, Level 8 is an honours degree. Personally speaking, both as an IT professional and somebody who has lectured at third level, I think your job prospects would be better with a Level 8 Honours Degree.

Finally, you need to decide where to do it, which of course depends on where you are located.

To start off, check out the Open University (http://www3.open.ac.uk/near-you/ireland/) or Oscail ( http://www.oscail.ie) for distance learning type courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thank you for this valuable information Tom! ;)

I'll have a more detailed look at the Open University and Oscail websites this evening!

Advertisement