Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual travel ticket increased from 2008

Options
  • 23-07-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Just got my payslip, and noticed the Annual travel ticket increased from 2008.
    In the current economic climate, I dont think a %10 increase is justified. Public cost should reduce in a recession, not increase.

Carlow - Dublin Annual commuter ticket...
    2009- €2590
    2008- €2350

Way to stickit to the every man CIE. Pricks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I think the fares increased back in January/February.

My annual ticket is due for renewal in September. I tend to look on the bright side . . . while people had to shell out the higher amount back in January I've been travelling on a ticket that cost me less since then. I only have to pay the higher fare now and they will be paying an even higher fare in a few months time while it will be another 12 months before I have to pay it. I think that's a bright side.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Thats something to be happy about Zagmund. You'll have to pay this price from Sep 09-Sep 10 but I wouldnt worry about it, unless Virgin trains Ireland opens, Im guessing the price will go up again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57370825#post57370825

Yet something else that went up with the rising cost of oil but never came back down with the oil price.

I'd expect an increase again due to rising costs from the "Carbon" tax that will be put on diesel, to ironically reduce the price of public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

oxygen wrote: »
    Thats something to be happy about Zagmund. You'll have to pay this price from Sep 09-Sep 10 but I wouldnt worry about it, unless Virgin trains Ireland opens, Im guessing the price will go up again next year.

Why do you think Virgin Trains arriving in Ireland would make a difference to season ticket prices?

These sort of tickets have consistently gone up in price every year in the UK over the last 10 years by far more than the increases in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Well if you were in the UK you could buy an annual ticket from Ashford to London which is the same distance as Carlow (90kms) for the princely sum of €4649 and that's without any tax write-off through a similar taxsaver scheme.

So while there has been an increase in costs here it's very cheap compared to the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

manc wrote: »
    have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57370825#post57370825

Yet something else that went up with the rising cost of oil but never came back down with the oil price.
    The governemnt removed the public transport fuel rebate and gave nothing back. Subvention has been cut. Passenger numbers have dropped and many off-peak fares are now very cheap - Tralee-Dublin for €10 single.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I bought my annual bus pass last December. It had gone from about €780 the previous year to €980. I use the buses a lot, so I get the value from it, but it was still a ridiculous increase of over 25%.

We still aren't getting the proper services. I was in town last night. Not long after 11:30pm, there were lots of people standing at the bus stops along Nassau Street. A few were coming, but most passing had the famous number "Out of Service" on them. If you went to some of the people and told them that there were no more buses for a complete hour and then only a very limited service, they would have thought you were having a laugh. Dublin Bus tell us how they are making a loss. Driving empty buses past bus stops with lots of people waiting at them, might just be part of the reason for that!!! If they started picking up the passengers, they be able to reduce fares and increase their profits.

Tomorrow morning I have to go into town early. The first bus near me leaves at 10:30am. I need to be in town before 9am. Fortunately I live near the Luas and as sure as water is wet when I go up to the stop there will be a load of people waiting at it who'd have gone into town on a bus, as I would do, if any were running. The Luas will be packed, proving there is a demand. On Sunday morning the first Luas is at 7am, a full 3 and a half hours before Dublin Bus. It is crazy. Then they moan that they can't make a profit. Note to Dublin Bus: Try providing a service when people want it, by starting a few hours earlier and finishing a few hours later than at present. You'll make more money that way.

Advertisement