Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Scenic - lamp bulbs

Options
  • 23-07-2009 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Unfortunately, I drive a Renault Scenic.
    In my 40s, this is the first car I've had ever where I can't just stick in my hand and change a headlamp bulb.
    So I brought it to the local Renault garage where they quoted me E40 to change the bulb ! Two local non-affiliated garages told me they wouldn't do it at all and that I'd have to bring it to the Renault guys.
    After driving for 25 years, I'm not gojng to start paying someone to change a bulb.
    Does anybody know exactly what to do to change the bulb ? Unscrew the whole headlamp unit, take it out, change bulb and replace ? Or pay the E40 ? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Does the owners manual not show how it is done? I know for the Mondeo 00-07 you need to unclip the headlamp and slide it out. Maybe the Senic is something like this?

Or maybe get a kid with a long skinny bendy arm...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

yes u would have 2 take the headlamp out. if u got some1 with small hands that would be able 2 do it. i use 2 work in halfords i always turned away renults there a pain in the butt 2 change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

carly_86 wrote: »
    yes u would have 2 take the headlamp out. if u got some1 with small hands that would be able 2 do it. i use 2 work in halfords i always turned away renults there a pain in the butt 2 change

Turning away renaults and thus business is why you used to work for Halfords??????:D

I have a Megane hatch and theres an access hatch in the wheel arch to get at the headlamp bulbs. The wife drives a Grand Scenic and I'll look at her car when she gets home to see if there's a similar access hatch on the wheel arch of her car. I'd agree that its a stupid design though and Renault looking for €40 is a feckin scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If they are anything like the Megane they can be tricky and there is a knack to it, but my Renault dealer will do those for €12 including bulb, well worth it having tried it once. Maybe try another dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Turning away renaults and thus business is why you used to work for Halfords??????:D

I have a Megane hatch and theres an access hatch in the wheel arch to get at the headlamp bulbs. The wife drives a Grand Scenic and I'll look at her car when she gets home to see if there's a similar access hatch on the wheel arch of her car. I'd agree that its a stupid design though and Renault looking for €40 is a feckin scam.

it was company policy that we could not remove the headlamp smart guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

There is a knack to them alright.
    Is it driver or passenger one that needs replacing?

The drivers one is easier to replace. Remove the access cover in the wheel-arch & then remove the winscreen washer water tank fill pipe and clip.
    You should then be able to remove the twist-lock headlight back-cover and remove the bulb by reaching down where the water fill pipe was.

Passenger one is a pain the ass though. Best to jack the car up, remove the wheel and then reach in to the back of the headlight by the access cover in the wheel-arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I've just replaced a friend's passenger side headlamp in his 07 Scenic. We tried it the other day and got frustrated and left it. We went out again today and within 5 minutes I had it done. I have big hands but was still able to do it without removing any body parts (of the car, that is!! :D ), just needing to take off my watch.

1) Remove the rubber protector cap (it just pulls off).

2) With your left hand, hold the plastic bulb connector and turn it one quarter turn anticlockwise. You may need to press it in slightly as you do so.

3) The connector may or may not separate from the bulb, but in any case remove them both.

4) Holding the connector in your left hand, with the wires pointing downwards, insert the new bulb into it, with the small square tab on the bulb to the right as you look at it. Make sure you don't touch the glass of the bulb.

5) Now the tricky bit. With your left hand, carefully insert bulb and connector into the bulb housing, making sure the wires are downwards and that they don't become caught. Turn everything that quarter turn to the left as you do so and then pushing inwards, then turn the connector back the quarter turn to the right so that all is secured in place.

That's all there is to it. Believe me anyone can do it, and there is absolutely no need to get it done in a dealership.

Advertisement