Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband - Dublin. Which one?

Options
  • 23-07-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

I'm living near Portobello and want to go for one of these mobile broadband things (meteor, o2, vodafone, three). Can someone tell me which is the most reliable. Price is tertiary to reliability and customer support, in that order. 12 month contract would be my limit. I've done some research and, on paper, "Three" seems like the best deal. However, I'd like some feedback from the punters. Horror stories welcome.

I'll be staying mostly in Dublin, usability outside Dublin is a nice-to-have but not a deal breaker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 genericstranger

Hello. I had the same questions just a few months ago. I was immediately put off three as I'd just finished a phone contract with them and their customer service is an absolute nightmare. So we're left with Vodafone who I thought were a bit more expensive, O2 , Eircom who I can't believe can do anything right when it comes to broadband. Meteor also use the same masts as Eircom so it's essentially the same service. Although I'd like to hear back from someone who does have a Meteor or Eircom connection before I pass any sort of tangible realistic judgment.
    I decided for these reasons and a little bias having once been with O2 for my mobile which I returned to after the three fiasco to go with O2. I've not been disappointed. The speed seems fine in the locations I've tried, Castleknock, Dundrum, Terenure and Rathmines. I've got 10GB usage allowance for €19.99 a month. I got this online and I'm not sure if they're stilll doing this deal. Also because of the iphone and other 3G products O2 are constantly investing in their 3G network so I'd say it's a safe bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

I find vodafone excellent. They also have a new Vodafone Europe package which gives you your HSDPA broadband 5GB in 13 EU countries for ~ €45/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 a1dinger

I just had a really bad experience with 3. They promised me at least 3Mbps speed but I only got 1.6, I called their technical support which was clearly in India/Pakistan and was told the speed I was getting was very good as they only guarantee 500Kbps, this conversation went on for some time and apart from being very rude they refused to cancel my contract even though I was still in the 14 day cool off period (technical support have to authorise cancellation). When I asked for the agents name a threatened to go to trading standards they put me on hold and came back to tell me they could cancel the contract.

I then went to Meteor who clearly advertise a "works for me guarantee", If you are not satisfied you can take back your purchase to the store within 14 days and get a refund no questions asked.

When I tried my new Meteor USB modem and SIM, the internet speed was much better at I now get over 5Mbps which is enough to stream internet tv and download music. I'm really happy with this service. Meteor Recommended in my area.

My area: Parnell Street/O'Connell Street Dublin 1

The deal I got:
    Bill Pay (50 euro deposit)
    Buy the USB Modem and you are entitled to a rolling contract (you are not fixed for 12 to 18 months you can cancel at the end of any month)
    Plus an extra 5GB download to your limit, making it a 20GB per month allowance.

Hope this helps someone

Advertisement