Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART, Its 25 years ago to this day, who can remember?

Options
  • 23-07-2009 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

On the day it opened I took it from Dunlaoghaire to Howth, probably the first and last time I ever took a train to Howth!!

IeDartSeapoint7610.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I took it from DL to Bray I think. Although it may well have been to Howth now that I think about it.

My memory of it was thinking that the seats and window edges didn't line up properly which meant that then you leaned up against the window it was sore.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Never took it beyond Bray, Intend doing it before that extension might be scrapped. Last time I took the Bray Greystones line was in a push pull

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Never took it beyond Bray, Intend doing it before that extension might be scrapped. Last time I took the Bray Greystones line was in a push pull

Scrapped? you reckon? (Bray Greystones)

Its interesting that when the extra DARTs were originally posted for the U2 concert that was the only DART section not getting any?

As much as Greystones isn't that busy, (Maynooth and Northern line seem get better passenger numbers!) from personal experience I wouldn't have thought ESE services would have sufficed for that station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

The public were invited to try out the train on test runs before the official opening. We were very impressed with the trains and even by the stations and the branding. It was all very shiny for 1984.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

crocro wrote: »
    The public were invited to try out the train on test runs before the official opening. We were very impressed with the trains and even by the stations and the branding. It was all very shiny for 1984.
    The 8100 are in still in good condition for their age even before the refit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I remember when the 'DART' logo replaced the broken wheel CIE logo it looked even more snazzy,logo looked quite bold and futuristic for its time,still holds up quite well imo.

Advertisement