Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant

Options
  • 23-07-2009 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need some info ASAP...
    I need to know something about grant. I want to go to college as a mature student in september, but..

i got a pretty nice job, money isn't too bad etc, but if i'll do full time education i need to leave that job, and that will leave me with some sh*t money, and i'm afraid that i won't survive these 4 yrs in college.

Would you know who's eligible to get a grant?
    How much could i get?
    Is it paid Weekly/monthly?

im 24, i earned 24k for '08, i don't live with my parents.

i've no clue what to do, i want to study but i'm just afraid i won't handle money wise...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hi Majnus,

I was at a mature student information morning today at Trinity and they talked a lot about grants and entitlements for mature students. It is very overwhelming to take in all the information.

You'd be looking at getting a maintenance grant and will be means tested to how much you get. As you are a mature student are entitled to the non-adjacent rate which last year was €3,470. The figures for 2009-2010 haven't been released yet so know one knows the rates will be this year. You have to apply each year for a grant.

The grant is paid in 3 installments - October, January and April, although they did stress at the talk that depending on what area you're in, they can be late with payments due to processing times (i.e. October payment may not come till end of November! :eek: )

My advice is to first have a look at www.studentfinance.ie and there is a lot of information about grants on there. The form for the maintenance grant is more like a book and there is quite a lot of information you need to gather - P21, birth certificate, acceptance of offer from uni, etc. so I'd download or ring up your local County Council for a form and start filling it out. Deadline is 31st August 2009.

I would also contact your local Citizen's Information Office. There was a girl speaking today from the local Pearse Street office and she had a wealth of knowledge about what you are entitled to. Everyone's situation is different and a lot of the information is hard to find and is changing constantly so your best bet is to speak to someone who knows there stuff. I don't know where you are based but if you go to an office near a college/uni they would probably be more up to date on these things.

Also, look at www.mabs.ie which can help you with managing your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭majnus

thank you very much for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Just to add:

On www.studentfinance.ie you can check reckonable income bands and see how much you're entitled to. It's a rough guide and only has 2007 figures but handy to have somewhat of an idea.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9392/check-reckonable-income-bands/index.html

Advertisement