Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Both RTÉ and $ky are a complete disgrace and a joke.

Options
  • 23-07-2009 4:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

...to the people of Ireland.

Where the hell is the promised FTA for RTÉ? Where the hell is "RTÉ International" and all the other supposed digital channels we were getting from RTÉ?

Look at a quote from this site from 2008, the year they were supposed to have it out by! Then they said 2009! : http://www.rte2fta.com/
    RTE is preparing to launch its new station in Britain by the end of the year, providing Irish-made programming to the emigrant population. The new station - RTE International - will be available on free-to-air satellite service Freesat. The Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI) is to examine a proposal from RTE on the station tomorrow.

At this stage I think I can safely say: "RTE International my HOLE!!!!"

RTE International is a bigger joke and a myth than Eircom Park. It was all just to force people to continue subscribing to $ky and have a right laff at the Irish EEJITS who are paying top money, TWICE, to get our own bloody channels!!! It was a ****en fairytale nonsense!!!

We've been hearing for about the past ten YEARS about the new Irish digital tv channels planned, just like BBC3 and BBC4 allegedly. They're still talking that ****. We have one of the highest licence fees in all of europe and yet we're the most backward possible.

Most of the shows are imported, the rest are virtually all clones of BBC shows!!! Otherwise they don't work! They even threw possibly the greatest comedy of all time, Father Ted, over to Channel 4!!!! They seem to have a love affair with CSI and Murder She Wrote... why not throw on some old-style X-Files or The Outer Limits on Two around primetime... Veronica Mars was a good choice of program, but not moving it along with Psych TO THE MIDDLE OF THE BLOODY NIGHT!!!!!! Nationwide, Podge & Rodge, Naked Camera etc. are good but not exactly money-draining shows.

Oh, and it's so lovely to always see them talking about how GREAT the foreigners are isn't it?! About how the foreigners are feeling and about how the foreigners are being treated racistly and how horrible everyone always is to the foreigners. BULL****!!!!!! I've nothing against foreigners, but it's the Nigerians (named the country as Irish is named) going around with big knives that I'D be worried about if I was out. Does that make me racist???? After all, it's mindless racism by the Irish against these people they talk about all the time, why not mindless racism by the Nigerians or Romanians against the Irish??? The difference is the Irish are more likely to end up in a box!!!! CNN International and the BBC and especially Sky News are also always pro-immigrant and "against racism", and I wouldn't mind a bit of it from RTE as well... but they really take the biscuit on it.

The ONLY TIME RTE *EVER* got its thumb out about "Digital Television" was when $ky practically forcibly made it so in order to get this encryption raquette going. The reason people like me are dependant on it is because our reception for TV3 and TG4 is terrible and RTE1 and RTE2 is bad without it.

Why can't they do a deal with $ky that we must have a telephone hooked up which would verify we were in Ireland and we pay ONCE to $ky for carrying it?! (which they usually make you do anyway for the first year). Why can't they do a deal with $ky that you have to have your RTE aerial plugged in picking up RTE and RTE teletext is sending out a special encrypted signal to let you in?! The way it is you can get RTE all over the bloody UK *ANYWAY*. There is *NO* *DIFFERENCE* apart from that you're paying!!!!!

$ky are the SECOND biggest joke in Ireland and the UK. I'm (stupidly) subscribed to the $ky news channels package right now for E24 a year premium on top of the at least E250 for the basic package. Now, here's what I get for that:

List of channels on Sky's News Package.:

1. Fox News.

That's it!!!! That's the entire range of extras I get for my E24/year added on to the main deposit!!!! (whatever it is exactly).

To be honest, it also opens up NDTVx24... a stupid Indian news channel, the type of thing you would NEVER watch.... and CNBC... which is pure crap that I *never* watch apart from The Tonight Show which I now dislike a lot more since Jay Leno left... and is not a news channel. Check each and every one of the other channels without your Sky card or on a FTA receiver.. they all are FTA, even Bloomberg now! I only like Fox News so much mainly because of the O' Reilly Factor... but I kinda regret subscribing anyway. At least for Entertainment/Documentary channels you actually do get more than one channel...

Where is MSNBC?! That would be brilliant to have!!!! To give a liberal perspective on it!!! Even that one channel would make it twice as good!!! Where is ABC News?! Where is CBS News?! Are they having a laugh or what???!!!!

Their receiver is a slow piece of **** compared to other modern digital receivers. It stops responding for AGESSSS at times and sometimes you even have to turn it off. There's nothing so brilliant about "pause and rewind live tv lol"... it's completely normal for a modern receiver to have a hard drive!!!!!... it's a total WASTE of a hard drive to be forced to be continually accessing it like that!!!! All the money is going to these piece of **** super durable hard drives and their replacements that people get for free then with a single subscription or if their one tanks as it has to!

Unlike on my years old Technomate 1500 that cost about 120euro or so, you STILL can't make the picture smaller into a certain part of the screen and flick through the channels fast... You can't see the EPG and the picture at the same time...!!!! You're navigating BLIND as in the old style receiver of long ago. I think some people have no idea how awesome it is to navigate Technomate-style, it's worlds superior to it. It's a bit like the difference between windows and dos! They can also track your usage!!!! No matter what you view, no matter who you are... it'll all be there for them to pore over and give to god-knows-who. Thought watching tv was a solitary and private activity? Think again!!!!

After all of this screwing around with Irish people, why the hell are they so spiteful and mean-spirited to us as to ITV2, BBC3&BBC4 etc. into "Other" channels so we can't record them??? And to top it all off, the creme de la creme is that Sky+ won't even let you use your OWN RECEIVER to record or even to VIEW material you already recorded if you don't have an active subscription. It's an unbelievable joke.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

How many time does the old "RTÉ let Fr Ted go to C4" urban legend have to be corrected here!? It was never offered to RTÉ, they never "turned it down"!

RTÉ will never be FTA because of rights issues. UK channels can afford to pay up to cover the spillover to an potential extra 4m people, but do you think RTÉ can afford to buy the rights to CSI to show it to a potential ~65m people? While I agree the current deal with Sky is ridiculous, I don't see it changing at least until there's a proper DTT system in place in Ireland, whenever that is...
    And it says it right there on the site you linked to - RTÉ International was put on the back burner late last year due to the big R.

MSNBC isn't shown anywhere outside of USA/Canada yet so I don't see it coming to Sky any time soon.
    CBS News isn't a network, that just refers to the news on CBS. The main bulletin is shown on Sky News (FTA)
    ABC News Now isn't a full news channel, but rather a loop of the headlines. They switch over to BBC News (FTA) for breaking news. They did say about two years ago however that they were coming to the UK.

The new EPG being rolled out to Sky+HD boxes has the miniscreen-in-EPG feature you're talking about. Most of the older boxes can't be upgraded much more (or have more channels added) due to technical limitations. If your Sky box is 8 years old, and/or you got it for free, I don't think there's much point complaining about lack of features like that.

You're not really comparing like for like with your STB and a Sky+ box, a Sky+ box can be gotten for what, €24.50 on promotion... you paid €120. The Sky box is subsidised by the company because you need to subscribe to their service to use all the features. It's like buying a new phone, you could get it for free from an operator, and be tied to their network and/or contract, or you could go off and but it unsubsidised and SIM free and pay maybe €200.

While I don't really agree it's okay to only enable the Sky+ feature with an active sub, there's no extra fee for it, and you could always get a Freesat recorder, or a HDD/DVD/BD recorder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

I think its fair to say the OP is on the verge of a mental breakdown.

Are you ok OP? Sort yourself out yeah? Think you're a bit messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

You might be right, All TV is sh%t anyway, get rid of your sky box, anger and stress and enjoy the summer.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

There's nothing so brilliant about "pause and rewind live tv lol"... it's completely normal for a modern receiver to have a hard drive!!!!!... it's a total WASTE of a hard drive to be forced to be continually accessing it like that!!!!

Turn off instant rewind and the anytime feature then.
    I would have thought you'd have known about that seeing as you are so tech-savvy with your "Technomate 1500"

By the way, this is for sale............http://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=SuperInfinity&e=com
    Buy it, and get a blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

They even threw possibly the greatest comedy of all time, Father Ted, over to Channel 4!!!

This line shows me that you do not have a clue of what you are ranting about so I choose to read no more of your rant. BTW, stick up an aerial if you would like to see RTÉ FTA. It isn't going to happen on satellite.

On second thoughts I decided to glance over it and I have come to a conclusion. The OP is a racist Bill O Reilly fan on the verge of a mental breakdown. More evidence that you do not have a clue of what you are talking about. There isn't a News package on Sky. It is called a News and Events package and includes channels like FOX News, Eurosport, Extreme Sports, ESPN Classic, ESPN America and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thread title should read "RT€ and $ky" - don't forget "¢horus/N¥L" too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

*whoosh*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

90% of RTE homemade content is rubbish anyway so why would you want more? It suits me grand if they import most of their shows cos they are better.

OP you do know that Sky News is FTA so why not cancel your News package and stick with Sky New.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dman001 wrote: »
    90% of RTE homemade content is rubbish anyway so why would you want more? It suits me grand if they import most of their shows cos they are better.

And a hell of a lot cheaper. RTE get big shows like Lost, 24, etc at a tiny price (due to their small potential viewer numbers), and a season of one of them costs a fraction of that of a home produced show.

OP, it really sounds like you need to cancel your Sky subscription, turn off the TV, and take a nice walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

to Superinfinity, and beyond!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

jor el wrote: »
    And a hell of a lot cheaper. RTE get big shows like Lost, 24, etc at a tiny price (due to their small potential viewer numbers), and a season of one of them costs a fraction of that of a home produced show.

OP, it really sounds like you need to cancel your Sky subscription, turn off the TV, and take a nice walk.
    Yep, if you think about it we get a good deal. We can pick up Itv, Channel 4 and the BBCs for free with no extra equipment needed while the majority of the UK can't get the RTE's.

The only thing RTE have to sort out is the time the programmes are on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Oh, and it's so lovely to always see them talking about how GREAT the foreigners are isn't it?! About how the foreigners are feeling and about how the foreigners are being treated racistly and how horrible everyone always is to the foreigners. BULL****!!!!!! I've nothing against foreigners, but it's the Nigerians (named the country as Irish is named) going around with big knives that I'D be worried about if I was out. Does that make me racist???? After all, it's mindless racism by the Irish against these people they talk about all the time, why not mindless racism by the Nigerians or Romanians against the Irish??? The difference is the Irish are more likely to end up in a box!!!! CNN International and the BBC and especially Sky News are also always pro-immigrant and "against racism", and I wouldn't mind a bit of it from RTE as well... but they really take the biscuit on it.

I would agree with you on that part - RTE do enthustiastically promote a decidedly one sided view of multiculturalism and it's '100% positive effects' on Ireland. It is actually a clear political bias in my view. I can not think of any other issue where such a blatantly obvious bias on a political subject would be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

Oh, and it's so lovely to always see them talking about how GREAT the foreigners are isn't it?! About how the foreigners are feeling and about how the foreigners are being treated racistly and how horrible everyone always is to the foreigners. BULL****!!!!!! I've nothing against foreigners, but it's the Nigerians (named the country as Irish is named) going around with big knives that I'D be worried about if I was out. Does that make me racist????
    Yikes. Me and everyone I know has managed to escape these big knife wielding Nigerians so far. Any chance of a heads up on what particular areas they roam around in so I can avoid? Whenever I'm out in Dublin it's always the native Irish out of their heads on drink and drugs that scare me, not the foreigners who go on their merry way looking slightly bemused and maybe a little scared at the strange little country they've ended up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Simple solution, get rid of sky. Unless your into watching live sports (which you could watch for free in the pub) it's completely useless. Overpriced, way to many adds and way to many channels.

Advertisement