Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to go from Limerick to Kilkenny?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

hey
    I need to go to kilkenny thursday or friday was wondering which is the handiest way to go by train or bus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Head for Clonmel, on far side of Clonmel take N76 (beyond the Bulmers plant if I remember rightly) brings you straight into Kilkenny. There are routes going cross country but I reckon these are the better roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

dont have a car and have never been there before

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

dont have a car and have never been there before

Sorry about that only read half of your post :o

your ok,the bue eireann plannner is down the the min,but i think the only way there is a bus to clonmel and you have to wait for an hour ish to get to kilkenny,seems a balls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

hey
    I need to go to kilkenny thursday or friday was wondering which is the handiest way to go by train or bus
    Vamp, i'm going to Clonmel tomorrow morning for work. I turn off at the Fethard Road Roundabout and pass the bus station on my way into work. I could give you a lift down and drop at Clonmel station if you want. You can get bus from there to Kilkenny. Be cheaper than getting two buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

JJ Kavanaghs I think operate a bus from Limerick to that part of the country. don't think you will get a direct bus from Limerick - Kilkenny.

By train it would be Limerick ->Limerick Junction _> Kildare -> Kilkenny which is a bleedin nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

grenache wrote: »
    Vamp, i'm going to Clonmel tomorrow morning for work. I turn off at the Fethard Road Roundabout and pass the bus station on my way into work. I could give you a lift down and drop at Clonmel station if you want. You can get bus from there to Kilkenny. Be cheaper than getting two buses.

Unless you know this person would you not be concerned about giving them a lift, particularly as they have the word "vamp" in their username which to me would strongly indicate they are a vampire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Unless you know this person would you not be concerned about giving them a lift, particularly as they have the word "vamp" in their username which to me would strongly indicate they are a vampire.
    I'm sure i could suss him out and judge whether he is of sound character or not. But he didn't get back to me so its equal now anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

By train it would be Limerick ->Limerick Junction _> Kildare -> Kilkenny which is a bleedin nightmare.

Jesus, that would be pure madness....

Bus from Limerick to Clonmel, Bus from Clonmel to Kilkenny, thats the way to go.

It doesn't show up when you do the journey planner, but there is actually a swap over bus that leaves 5 mins after you reach Clonmel. They always wait for each other, so you wont miss it if your bus in late.

I've taken that a good few times, but not for about 3 years, so you'd want to make sure they haven't changed it. I have no idea why it never shows up on the website, but, I've done it plenty of times. I didn't fancy waiting for 90 mins instead of 5.

Don't trust the website, or they'll have you waiting for an hour and a half in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

grenache wrote: »
    I'm sure i could suss him out and judge whether he is of sound character or not. But he didn't get back to me so its equal now anyway.

I would still bring a stake and some garlic just to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

DBIreland wrote: »
    Head for Clonmel, on far side of Clonmel take N76 (beyond the Bulmers plant if I remember rightly) brings you straight into Kilkenny. There are routes going cross country but I reckon these are the better roads.

not an answer for the op, but i myself would head up the n7 take a right after borris-in-ossory, straight through ballycolla, then into durrow and take a right and a left, then follow the n77 through ballyragget to kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

JJ Kavanaghs I think operate a bus from Limerick to that part of the country. don't think you will get a direct bus from Limerick - Kilkenny.

Yeah the train routes in this country are a joke. The Train to Galway has to go up country and to Athlone first, then across to Galway. Takes something like five and a half hours to get to Galway by train.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1892

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Jesus, that would be pure madness....

Bus from Limerick to Clonmel, Bus from Clonmel to Kilkenny, thats the way to go.

It doesn't show up when you do the journey planner, but there is actually a swap over bus that leaves 5 mins after you reach Clonmel. They always wait for each other, so you wont miss it if your bus in late.

I've taken that a good few times, but not for about 3 years, so you'd want to make sure they haven't changed it. I have no idea why it never shows up on the website, but, I've done it plenty of times. I didn't fancy waiting for 90 mins instead of 5.

Don't trust the website, or they'll have you waiting for an hour and a half in Clonmel.

In my experience they rarely wait for each other! Havent got this bus for over a year but trying to travel Limerick to Kilkenny was the reason I learned to drive!

ah just not going to bother going now too much hassle for the length of time id get out of it

Advertisement