Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help From the Well-Travelled: Good pubs for Real Ale in Manchester

Options
  • 22-07-2009 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm heading over to Manchester in a few weeks for a couple of nights and I was wondering if some of the wiser heads out there might know a couple of spots in or around the city centre that have a decent reputation for real ale (or indeed, just selling good beer of any kind not readily available over here).

I've never been to England but I seem to get the vibe that at least one decent Ale would be available in most pubs but I would love to find a nice spot with a good selection of ale to sample while I'm over there if I could.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

My recent night out in Manchester, in the company of a local senior CAMRA bod, is here. I'd add that the Marble Arch brewpub is well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭marceldesailly

ye definitely visit marble arch, fantastic place. and whatver else the beernut says

whatver else the beernut says
    hypnoglassescomp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    hypnoglassescomp.gif

That's an uncanny resemblance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Thanks a million folks, after a bit of nosing about I had come across the Marble Arch and noted it, and I'll definitely drop in now.

Beernut, as much as I'm sure you would hate to be associated with this in any way, your reply was like something you would see in a Carlsberg ad where someone dreamt of getting advice on pubs to go to in Manchester! Much thanks!

• Advertisement

oblivious wrote: »
    That's an uncanny resemblance :D
    I know. Sometimes Google Images can be scarily accurate.
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    your reply was like something you would see in a Carlsberg ad where someone dreamt of getting advice on pubs to go to in Manchester!
    Mere coincidence. Mind you, you'll note from the comments someone saying these pubs aren't the best in Manchester and that we should have gone to the Northern Quarter. But there's plenty on the south side to be going on with I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Peveril of the Peak(Between Rain Bar and the Old Monkey) a good spot as well.....definitely try the Castle Inn in the Northern Quarter as well, stay away from the Wetherspoons/Goose on Piccadilly at all costs though!

Enjoy.

Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Thanks for the added input guys, I'll try and have a gander around the Northern Quarter, I am guessing that most spots around the city are within walking distance (or failing that a short taxi ride?)

Thanks again for the insight, much appreciated.

I am guessing that most spots around the city are within walking distance (or failing that a short taxi ride?)
    Yeah, the Marble Arch is a wee bit of a trek, but no more than 15-20 mins walk from the dead centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Hi folks,

I'm heading over to Manchester in a few weeks for a couple of nights and I was wondering if some of the wiser heads out there might know a couple of spots in or around the city centre that have a decent reputation for real ale (or indeed, just selling good beer of any kind not readily available over here).

I've never been to England but I seem to get the vibe that at least one decent Ale would be available in most pubs but I would love to find a nice spot with a good selection of ale to sample while I'm over there if I could.

Thanks in advance for any help!

These kind people have never let me down with their reviews of London pubs. They have however indirectly caused immeasurable harm to my liver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Thanks for the added input guys, I'll try and have a gander around the Northern Quarter, I am guessing that most spots around the city are within walking distance (or failing that a short taxi ride?)

Thanks again for the insight, much appreciated.

Yep virtually everywhere mentioned is walkable - the Castle and the rest of the Northern Quarter is on the way to the Marble Arch(walking from Piccadilly direction), however a taxi would only cost about 4 quid....

Brgds
    Johnny

Advertisement