Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-Plane or MsFS

Options
  • 22-07-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering Which people prefer X-Plane or Microsoft Flight Simulator,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Now i havent tried xplane but i have heard it more realistic more so like being in a wind tunnel,on the down side i have heard the scenery isnt as good as fs.I stick with the fs9 top end pc plenty of addons vatsim and your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Gave it a brief whirl last year and wasnt at all impressed with the graphics so I didnt give it much time. It also took way longer to load for me then FSX. I've heard constantly that its flight model is excellent but I find FSX does the job nicely as good payware a/c tend to have excellent flight models.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It depends what you are after really tbh,

I've never used X plane at all, so I cant really say

FS9 has been bog standard for most, any PC can handle it easily. FSX though, you need an above average PC for it to work any way decent with payware aircraft and scenery

There is a wider range of addons etc for FS9 than FSX now (But aerosoft has said they will stop making FS9 stuff due to sales etc eventually)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

http://www.xpih.net/xpih/XPIH_Home/Entries/2008/2/20_New_Scenery_Update.html This guy is also doing EICK. Saw some good pics of it on X-plane.org. Apparently it's nearly finished. X-plane makes flying in a group much easier. You can have a bunch of mates doing circuits at their favorite field without relying on a server. Try it. It' different and it's not FSX but in ways it's better. Not every way but still......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

There is a demo of x-plane to try. Which I did. And as an FSX user (never played any flight sim before that) x-plane annoyed me to no end. It might be wind-tunnel accurate, but I couldn't experience that. Shallow controls make for an annoying experience. Instead of giving aircraft a decent turning circle point, any slight movement jolts the plane upside-down.

The control scheme is awkward too. For no reason. They changed the control scheme to just not be like flight sim... but flight sim's control scheme is pretty well laid out. Why change it?

As for graphics, not as good as FSX on a good PC but I imagine it's pretty close to previous versions anyway.

I'd stick to FSX, for anything it's easier to use, but also the community is much larger. You'll find more obscure aircraft to fly online in FSX then in x-plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I also tried the demo and was not very impressed. I gave it a good chance as Ive heard good things about x-plane but I cant warm to it. I use FSX am very happy with it however it does take quite a modern pc to run it well. Im waiting until one of my friends gets the full version of x-plane so i can try it out properly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

They've given the website a nice makeover at X-Plane land.

I'm tempted to get a copy because I don't think the demo does it justice. I think they're going to attract a lot more users now that Microsoft have pulled the plug on their development, especially now Xplane been released for the iPhone. It does still lack behind FSX a lot in the graphics department but this video looks quite nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've had all the X-Planes since V5 and it's gotten better and better. One thing it really, really lacks is the ability to create a perfect sim a la PMDG MD-11... you just can't get away from the bog standard screens etc. One thing it shines at is tweaking, especially aerodynamically. You can really make aircraft fly like they're supposed to, test out odd concepts etc. I use X-Plane 90% of the time, but you can't beat FSX for perfect simulation of systems etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

Would anyone be interested in multiplayer session with ATC provided at Irish airfields?

Advertisement