Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buzzing from engine

Options
  • 22-07-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 98 VW polo hatchback, and in the past few months, i've noticed a buzzing noise coming from the engine when accelerating up thru the gears it appears when the engine is at approx 2000RPM, and then goes away once the car has revved beyond this. I had the car in at service recently and the mechanic told me that he has checked all the engine mountings, and they were ok.

Has anyone experienced such a thing on other cars, and any suggestion of what it could be that I could go back to the garage with?

thanks,
    daywalker

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Sounds like theres a bee in your bonnet :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

mxvowpvxnhpfgax6y7hc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Sounds like theres a bee in your bonnet :pac:

Nope no wildlife present under the hood, nice try tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

as in a vibration type buzzing noise? would that describe it better? or a rattly, tinny type buzzing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Do you just hear buzzing, feel a vibration or both? Have you opened the bonnet and listening to the buzzing? Can you roughly locate it if so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 del-bhoy

daywalker wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 98 VW polo hatchback, and in the past few months, i've noticed a buzzing noise coming from the engine when accelerating up thru the gears it appears when the engine is at approx 2000RPM, and then goes away once the car has revved beyond this. I had the car in at service recently and the mechanic told me that he has checked all the engine mountings, and they were ok.

Has anyone experienced such a thing on other cars, and any suggestion of what it could be that I could go back to the garage with?

thanks,
    daywalker

I had this problem before on a Citroen, it was the bolt to adjust the alternator vibrating and when you reved hard the vibration cancelled itself out, Put a locknut on the bolt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Pinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

kona wrote: »
    Pinking?

I wouldn't think it would be consistently at 2000 rpm if it was a knocking issue to be honest

Confab wrote: »
    Do you just hear buzzing, feel a vibration or both? Have you opened the bonnet and listening to the buzzing? Can you roughly locate it if so?

I can feel a vibration thru the pedal and hear buzzing from the engine, its difficult to pinpoint because if you accelerate in neutral it doesn't appear it only appears when in gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

Check the gearbox oil level, problem could be in the box

• Advertisement

daywalker wrote: »
    I can feel a vibration thru the pedal and hear buzzing from the engine, its difficult to pinpoint because if you accelerate in neutral it doesn't appear it only appears when in gear.

clutch?

Id bring it to a mechanic, no point in just guessing.

waraf wrote: »
    I wouldn't think it would be consistently at 2000 rpm if it was a knocking issue to be honest

It could be the timing too advanced at that paticular range. Then evens out.

kona wrote: »
    clutch?

Id bring it to a mechanic, no point in just guessing.

I don't think so as i don't have any problems changing gears and i do not hear/feel anything unusual when changing gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Whatcar

A lot of buzzing and vibrations come from air filder assembly. When guys
    do service sometimes they dont secure them properly. Also check the exhaust, sometimes a rubber mount breaks and causes vibration.:)

Advertisement