Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spry menu bar causing headaches

Options
  • 22-07-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, wondering if I could get some help. Making a site using Dreamweaver CS3, and I've made a spry horizontal menu. Took ages to get it centred in the page, and even now it seems precarious. The main issue is that it doesnt seem to work in IE8. I've only got IE8 and Firefox 3.5 to try it on at the minute, and it's not online.

Basically, in IE the mousover dropdown menu elements wont appear until an activeX script is allowed. After that, they will appear but will also be horizontal rather than vertical, like they are in FF. And yet another problem, when the submenu items are rolled over, they will then switch to horizontal. All the while, with a big ugly white box in the background.

If anyone can help me in fixing this, or reccommend a different method for a horizontal menu bar with submenus (which can be centred), I'd be very grateful.

I can put a demo version online later thisevening if required. Thanks.

http://www.dioritesolidsurface.com/test/22.07.09/index.html

Edit: Since uploading the site, the white boxes no longer appear. The menu still doesn't work as smoothly as in FF.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I hate spry's, best bet is to try Adobe for a FF3.5 Hack

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

FF 3.5 is the browser it works on.

Updated with a link. Any help greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Sorry speed through your post,IE8 would be the exception to the rule
    Again look for a Hack or have a look at similar ones and try writing your own

You said that you hate sprys, and I'm starting to myself. Could you reccommend any alternatives that would have the same functionality as the spry menu does in firefox, but in all browsers? I've had a look for hacks, and this thread was near the top of my search results. Tried a couple and got nowhere, and I wouldnt be experienced enough to write my own.

Edit: May have found a viable alternative here:

http://dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm

• Advertisement

Got the new menu bar working in IE8 now as well as Firefox, but still have the activeX script problem. Will this happen to the majority of users? A piece of text appears asking the user to allow the blocked script in order to see the navigation, but thats not really a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭donnaille

Hi The Perfect Drug,

The Active X notice should only show when testing the site locally, by that I mean when you hit f12 in Dreamweaver to test the page that way. I tried your page in IE7 there and there is no Active X warning.

donnaille wrote: »
    Hi The Perfect Drug,

The Active X notice should only show when testing the site locally, by that I mean when you hit f12 in Dreamweaver to test the page that way. I tried your page in IE7 there and there is no Active X warning.

Ah cool, thats great to hear. This issue is pretty much resolved now, mods can close / delete as they wish.

Advertisement