Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fashion Styling Course

Options
  • 22-07-2009 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on where to go for a Fashion Styling course (styling, not design).

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I'm not quite sure if you mean for your own personal wardrobe or to do a course to become a stylist.. but if it is for yourself, then Colour Me Beautiful might be worth a look. They do also run some courses, check out their site.

http://www.cmbireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Erica-smiley

Most people who get into fashion styling get into it through internships or through working at a clothing company, I dont know of any course that wouldnt include design aswell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Nucky

Sallynoggin College of Further Education do a year long full time course in Fashion Industry Practice...It includes fashion styling, and fashion buying and retailing but you also study the history of fashion and sales presentation to make you more employable. I think it's a FETAC level 6 course, it takes a lot of work though and isn't just fashion styling. I think a college in Crumlin does the same kind of course. Interviews were held in March I think, so i'm not sure if there are any places left.

The best thing to do is try and get experience with stylists, although even with this course it's still hard to get as there isn't that much work out there...

Hope that this helps, I think that some stylists do a few day long courses, these are just the only FETAC recognised courses. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

hey
    sallynoggin cfe do a course called fashion industry practice, which is brilliant! i did a different course out there and all the fashion students were really fashiony and loved there course. teachers are very good too.

crumlin college do a course called fashion styling which is new but its really good and again the teachers are very good. i did a course there too(!!!) and i think one of the fashion teachers works on the tudors aswell!

i think the irish fashion institute offer courses too and the portobello institute but they're very expensive.

you really have to google around though if you go on to the qualifax website you can search courses and they have everything on it, i find it really useful!
    good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 putoch

Hea Style~Fish is managed by a fab lady who does course etc
    you might find it worth while to have a look.

here is her website:www.stylefish.ie

and a blog on her: http://www.icandy.ie/blog/?cat=27

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 vegasbaby

Hi there

As an ex-stylist I would say don't bother with the courses that are run purely in styling, particularly in Ireland....this country is too far behind in these kind of creative courses.
    If you are generally interested in fashion but not design, then look at the London College of Fashion website and possibly a more combined course will make your CV stand out.
    Innate talent obv, and attention to detail, organisation, being polite and cheerful on long shoots, and basically knowing what needs to be done before a grumpy fashion editor has to ask are what will get you far, and a course can't teach you this.
    You would actually gain a lot more of this kind of experience working in a small fashion forward boutique where regular clients need whole looks co-ordinated for them.
    If you have a talent for fashion and styling, contact established stylists and see do they need an assistant - but be prepared to work hard, long hours and usually for free! It is rarely a well paid job for the actual booked stylist unless you are at the top or doing a very commercial shoot.
    The more experience/internships you can get the better your chances of getting to know people in the business who will get you work - and I'm sorry but a course can't get you this. You could also collaborate with photographers & makeup artists starting out to pull some test looks together. Cut out and keep all your inspirations!
    Good luck! :)

vegasbaby wrote: »
    I would say don't bother with the courses that are run purely in styling, particularly in Ireland....this country is too far behind in these kind of creative courses.

I don't agree with this, a lot of the tutors here are well in tune with whats going on abroad. Joan Cashman of Colour and Image Academy runs courses in London as well as in Dublin, Limerick and Galway. Some of the other colleges including Makeupfablicious and Portobello Institute offer courses as good as what is being offered in London imo. See http://www.findacourse.ie/style-fashion-courses-c41.html for details of some of these courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Just a note - this thread dates back to 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement