Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing Maintenance Grant

Options
  • 22-07-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I'm a mature student planning to go into second year of college in September. Last year I applied for and received a maintenance grant from the local council. Last month they wrote to me about paying future grant instalments direct into my bank account. I had to give them details of my account together with a statement of my exam results for first year.

I was confused by the letter as it seemed to suggest that this was all I needed to do in order to renew my grant for next year. So I phoned the council and they assured me that this was indeed the case.

I am still a little sceptical as I assumed I would have to complete the usual form detailing my spouse's income details, etc. There is nothing I can see on www.studentfinance.ie to indicate that the council will keep renewing the grant each year based on the first application. What happens if my circumstances changed from one to the next?

Can anyone clarify this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

My brother is in his third year in college (just finished) and he's only ever had to apply for the grant once, so I'd say they're right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Ah this is cool, if it is the case. Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

I am also going back in Sept. Have my form for grant renewal. It doesn't say anything about bank account details. Have to submit it with a copy of my exam results (Sligo County Council).

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Seems as if what I was told was correct. Almost seems too good to be true but I won't argue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I thought you had to re-apply every year?

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    I thought you had to re-apply every year?

You apply in the first year. You have to go through the whole process, ie. your earnings, your parents earnings etc.

In the future years you just renew the grant form as the send out a renewal letter for you to submit with a copy of your examination results. That's what I have just done.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Grand so! I guess if your circumstances change after each year you'd have to re-do the whole thing.

Nightmare these forms are!!!

If you change address then you will have to contact them. If you fail your exams and have to repeat the year you won't get your grant for that year and you will have to pay the years fees also.

Advertisement