Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

russians on religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Russians on Religion ... is that worse than Russians on Vodka? :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

do they have enough classrooms to seperate out all these kids? as they go off to study different religions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

do they have enough classrooms to seperate out all these kids? as they go off to study different religions

I was thinking that myself. Im also worried that these divisions might bring about discrimination within schools and some serious bullying! orthodox v secularist v "insert religion here"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

bogwalrus wrote: »
    A good idea?
    There's a rich irony in the Russian government presuming itself fit to lecture anybody about ethical behavior, let alone impressionable kids.

More seriously, the United Russia party -- the shadowy and weird political organization behind Putin and Myedvyedyev -- has been banging the nationalist drum with enormous energy since more or less the time when Yeltsin hung up his hat in December 1999. As part of this, they've built up a number of Communist Pioneer-style organizations, the most obnoxious of which is group with strong neo-fascist leanings called "Nashi" ("Ours") who organize summer camps where you can learn how to be a Russian nationalist. They've also pumped large amounts of money into the church and provided it with tax concessions on a range of consumer goods which I believe the church is permitted to sell onwards. In many places you visit outside Moscow, the only places that look new are the churches (that's because many of them are new, or newly renovated). In return, the church preaches the necessity of obeying the state and learning how to be a good citizen (which involves admiration of Putin), and some stuff about god too.

It appears to be a fairly standard religion-legitimizes-state trade-off, and both the church and Putin are doing very well out of it. And with a large section of the population demonstrating almost complete political naivety, to the extent of frequently appearing to live on a very distant planet, it seems likely that they'll continue to do well for a long while yet.

Issa crap idea, btw :)

bogwalrus wrote: »
    a good idea?

I don't think it's a good idea, but at least they're offering the alternative of a secular-ethics class for those who don't wish to take part in any form of religious education. It would be a lot worse if they introduced mandatory classes in just religion, wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

This doesn't seem like a bad idea. As with all such programs, I'm assuming it only deals with the 'major' faiths; Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism etc. While that's always a narrow choice, and as they will almost certainly be taught from a Russian Orthodox viewpoint, this might increase tolerance.
    I can't help thinking that if more Americans had been properly informed, they wouldn't have this image of all Muslims being suicidal fanatics, 8 feet tall with AK-47s for hands.
    And offering the secular ethics is a good move too. Shows a growth in understanding. That said, since the Soviet Union was supposedky athiest, I suppose that was an obvious move.

Basically, I'm for it if it could help awareness and tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Urizen wrote: »
    Basically, I'm for it if it could help awareness and tolerance.

Well if the Russians are known for anything it's awareness and tolerance.

Personally, I'm more interested in that hot Russian Christian at the end of that clip... "do you come with this religion class... yuk yuk!" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think the picture of them sitting at the table is hilarious. Dmitry probably has to sit down and talk to all kinds of business leaders all dressed smartly then has to go into a similarly serious meeting where everyones dressed like medieval clowns and has to take them seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Getting a 404...er...summary?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Getting a 404...er...summary?

Me too.....whats going on??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

404, fed the link to some WoW people I play with, stateside, continental europe etc, all coming up 404 too...
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Basically, the Russians are implementing a choice in schools to study various religions, or an option for secular ethics if that doesn't appeal

Just checked, it's been removed actually. Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah, I'd ran a search for all articles re Russia and wasn't turning anything up, so it's not just a url change.

I just want to add that I admire the work the Russian government is doing, in particular the FSB and their cyber crimes division. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

robindch wrote: »
    Putin

0345_60putin.jpg

"Battle not with monsters
    lest ye become a monster
    and if you gaze into the abyss
    the abyss gazes into you."

Honestly, few people scare me as much as this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

the link is on euro news home page. they must have moved it. should be there if you look for it. Its under the heading "religion".

Putin is definitely a lizard!! Look at those eyes.....so cold.

Advertisement