Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens during home checks?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hiya

Just wondering what happens during home checks? How to they determine if you are suitable or not? How do they fail/pass you?

Any info much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

We had one from the DSPCA when we got our fella. The guy came in had a look at the fencing around the back garden (is it high/ sturdy enough, could the dog tunnel under? etc), is the garden big enough?

They will have probably already asked this but they will fail you if you both work 9-5, so there will be no one there for 8 hrs a day.

Not sure if you should already have a kennel bought, but maybe not if he will be a indoor dog.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

our garden isnt enclosed so am planning on getting a puppy gate so he wont be able to get away, it is a cav king charles, how big would the garden have to be? Do they fail you if you are near a road? thanks for replying so quick! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

An unsecure property near a busy road would raise a few flags. If the homechecker isn't happy that the garden is secure then the person being homechecked is told this and then it's up to them if they want to make the changes if they want the dog.

Your garden wouldn't have to be huge for a cav, just secure. They would also want to know that the dog won't be left alone for more than a 4 hour stretch at a time usually.

They'll ask questions about diet and exercise. Ask you what will happen if you go on holiday, if there's a family emergency. If you're renting you'll probably need a letter of consent to keep a dog on the property from the landlord. Will discuss a few things like vet. care, cost of keeping a dog, etc. just to make sure you've thought everything over before you get the dog.

Homechecks are not intrusive, everyone just wants what is best for the dog in question at the end of the day and to make sure that it ends up in a safe and loving environment and not back in rescue. If you have any questions then you should feel free to ask your homechecker.

just found a perfect puppy gate in argos so wont be a problem. used to dogs so am aware of the costs! Luckily the person i am living with works shifts so it would be alone max 4 hours. we are in an estate and there is a road nearby but it is about two three minutes walk from our house so not facing directly. regarding the letter must look into that. luckily my family are nearby as well for the animals!

By puppy gate, I assume you mean one of those invisible electric fences with the collar.

So there is no boundaries to your back garden whatsoever, no hedges or anything? Not Sure if they would be happy with that, but you can see. you could build him a run out of chicken wire, he is not going to be that strong if he is a CKC.

As to the size, it would have to be very small to be too small for a CKC, mine is a medium sized back garden (approx. 20m x 15m) for Dublin City, and they thought it was big enough for my rottie x.

• Advertisement

Dont like invisible fences, i figure i wouldnt like to be shocked so neither will harry! they are good if you dont have any other choice or a large breed that people are scared of and might report but i would avoid them if possible.

this gate seems like it will be perfect for me, was looking at this one
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0352332/Trail/searchtext%3EPUPPY+GATE.htm

it is enclosed from three sides and then the house on the fourth but there is a gap of about a foot and a half. the garden is aboutthe same size as yours and the fences are about 9 foot all around.

That sounds grand to me but wouldn't really prevent anyone reaching over and taking him. Can the gate be seen from the road?

Sorry I must have got the wrong end of the stick, I thoght you said the garden wasn't enclosed.
    messygirl wrote: »
    our garden isnt enclosed so am planning on getting a puppy gate so he wont be able to get away, it is a cav king charles, how big would the garden have to be? Do they fail you if you are near a road? thanks for replying so quick! :)

But you've got a fencing around it.
    Dont like invisible fences, i figure i wouldnt like to be shocked so neither will harry! they are good if you dont have any other choice or a large breed that people are scared of and might report but i would avoid them if possible.

this gate seems like it will be perfect for me, was looking at this one
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/p...PUPPY+GATE.htm

it is enclosed from three sides and then the house on the fourth but there is a gap of about a foot and a half. the garden is aboutthe same size as yours and the fences are about 9 foot all around.

Toulouse wrote: »
    That sounds grand to me but wouldn't really prevent anyone reaching over and taking him. Can the gate be seen from the road?

we are at the back of the estate, and the dog i am looking at has one eye and is neutered (he is the cutest fella!big happy face!) which might hesitate most dog nappers. but will be keeping an eye on him and my brother is a garda so feel pretty safe! will get him to start parking the squad car outside to deter anyone!

re the fencing it is enclosed on three sides but there is a gap of about a foot an a half between the house and the fence. sorry hard to explain!

Lol, sounds like a great home to be honest. I don't think you'll have any problems at all and I've done a few myself :) I would look into getting that letter though because I can see from the adoption form for the rescue that has Harry that it is required.

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

will do! Thanks! I just saw him and my heart melted, you know when you see your dog andit just clicks and its like, thats him! sigh

will be moving with my boyf in feb (fingers crossed) and they have a farm and bungalow and big garden and fields so know he will be such a happy little fella!

Fair play to you, he hasn't had the best of starts but hopefully that'll all change for him now :)

I know the feeling of "that's him!", that's the way I felt when I saw Ben the first day visiting the DSPCA, put my name down very quickly!

Best of luck with him and you have many happy years together (sounds like a best man's speech :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You shouldnt have an problems, although they might want more than a puppy gate at that gap, they might ask you to put up a secure, permanent gate.

Just be honest with them, and relax, they can see if you are a genuine dog person and want whats best for the dog and if you are the right person there wont be a problem.

i hadnt mentioned it to my brother for a while and when i told him he has told me that the landlord is selling the house and our lease is up in september so we will be moving in the next three weeks. in the interest of full disclosure i just sent an email to the rescue explaining the situation. god i wanted to lie. anyone know how long these dogs are available or will he probably be gone in three weeks? Im hoping the honesty thing gets brownie points. :( must ring them tomorrow and see what they say. i want him so much, so depressed now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

thats a shame but well done for being honest with the rescue. they will appreciate it. Get yourself settled in your new accommodation and then reapply. Your dog of choice may, or may not be gone it really will depend on who is interested in the dog and who passes their home checks. In a worse case scenario and Harry is rehomed remember that at least he got a good home.

I know this is cold confort at the moment but there are literally hundreds of lovely dogs out there looking for homes so another little soul will touch your heart and will eventually grace your (new) home.

thats what i told myself,he has been through a lot so e deserves what is the best for him, and i would prefer to get him by being honest and being chosen as the best home on my merits than depriving him of someone who might prove to be a better match but o my god it sucks. I will ring tomorrow and see what the story is. they sent me an email saying it complicates things and to call them tomorrow.

its right to be upfront right? I know i could have gotten him and moved house without telling them but its right to tell the truth, even if you dont get what you want?? :( i know i did the right thing so its not the biggest issue...

he is so adorable i doubt he will hang around long but one can hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

You did the right thing and I'm sure they'll appreciate that! It'll be easier for him to not have to have another upheaval right after moving in with you. Do you know where you're moving to yet and is it a better house? If yes, I'm sure they'll keep it in mind.

not yet, yeah i dont want o move him constantly, i am moving the to wicklow in febuary which they know about but thats to a bungalow on a farm (idyllic aint it?! ;) )

do people lie to dog pounds when they get their pooches? I can definately offer a good home to him, i will love him and care for him but i cant take him by lying and say that i will be in the same place for ever.

sorry i know the answers to these questions but i still feel bad and not skipping exactly

Advertisement