Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics of non-drinking?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

I'm curious about how much your average twentysomething spends in a week on drinking, anyone have any info?

Its something that comes up a lot with my oh. Neither of us drink or go out, ever. We meet up with friends, visit each other on weekends and all, but never out to pubs or anything. From what we hear, we may be saving a fortune. I dont earn much, we are both on average/reasonably low incomes, but I always have the cash (with a little saving) for nice things, and just enough in savings.

I cant imagine how people get by with the figures I'm hearing (100 a week plus on going out), so I can only assume its a lot less, or they are lying :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Yeah you probably are saving a fortune, depending on what demographic you fall into. Young single employed men spend the most, and I am amongst that demographic. Its not only what you spend on that night out either, its what you spend the next day on takeaways and lost earnings due to missed days.

Its costly, punishing fun.

100 a week plus is conservative by mine, and my friends' standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

E100 a week sounds about average alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Admission fee to a club, takeaway and taxi are costs that will push total cost towards and past €100.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Thats amazing. I'm not prodding for a row or playing dumb, I honestly haven't been in a pub since I worked in one three years ago - and never did regular pub going out so I have no idea of the typical costs.

The reason I ask is because (and it often come up) that people question us as to why we spend our money on certain things (cameras, big tv and such), and I had reasoned that we could comfortably pay for them in a month on the average cost of drinking saved.

Thanks for the supporting evidence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yeah, people seem to think ur loaded when ur spendin your potential booze money on deadly things!

haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

efla wrote: »
    I honestly haven't been in a pub since I worked in one three years ago - and never did regular pub going out so I have no idea of the typical costs.

The average €100 would be difficult to hit in a pub I'd say. That would be more of a "club" average I'd guess.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement