Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Cuban cigars considered the "best"... and where's best to get em

Options
  • 22-07-2009 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I like the odd cigar. I used to smoke one or two at the end of a night's drinking when out with friends but then the smoking ban stopped that but a friend and I reguarly have an aul Edwards or two after a few drinks in each other's houses.

He got some Cubans (cuban cigars) there a few weeks ago and it smelled really really nice. I think he paid 12quid each though on Grafton St (beside Capt. Americas).

So ... why are they the "best" ? Are they coveted so because of the American embargo ? I know people who speak very highly of rum and rum based drinks because of the Cuban connection but not to the degree of pedestal that you see Cuban cigars placed on.

Where in Dublin does the best price for them or are they all the same ? I only know of the two Grafton St shops near Lush at the Trinity, the Capt. Americas one and the corner shop just off of Dame St. Anywhere else ?

Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

It's a bit like asking why French wine is considered the best. Of course, Cuban cigars are not necessarily the best, it depends on the individuals taste. But what I can say about Havanas is that they are the original of the species, are made from 100% Cuban tobacco, which is grown under ideal conditions and are blended and rolled by experts in their field. Compare with other cigars made in the Dominican Republic for example and they source tobacco from a number of countries/markets.

The only collectable market in cigars is Havanas, because they age so well.

As well as the bricks and mortar shops you mentioned, there are lot's of online shops which ship to Ireland - cubanlous.com, cigarone.com to name but too. You have to be careful with customs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Cuba dosen't have the reputation it once held amongst cigar afficianados. When the government nationalised the industry most of the major manufacturing companies packed up and moved to Honduras, Dominica and Nicaragua and set up there. Nicaragua is now thought to produce the best leaf.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Cuba dosen't have the reputation it once held amongst cigar afficianados. When the government nationalised the industry most of the major manufacturing companies packed up and moved to Honduras, Dominica and Nicaragua and set up there. Nicaragua is now thought to produce the best leaf.

While there were many problems after the Revolution with cigars and again during the so called 'Special Period', amongst aficianados Havanas are still considered the best. Nicaraguan tobacco is interesting, and they do produce 'puros' with it, it is still a different animal to the tobacco grown on La Isla Grande.

MT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Well I bought a few in a whisky shop in Scotland. £5 each for the next size up from the little skinny ones which I don't think is that much of an improvement price-wise. They were these ones. Probably the cheapest crapiest ones or something.

Probably the cheapest crapiest ones or something.

You got that right. Guantanamera is a strange anomoly in the world of Havana cigars. It's nicely packed but is machine made. You'd be better off with a machine bunched hand finished Havana for less money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

And 'Cohiba esplendidos' ? Was given a box of them over the Christmas (they were brought home from Cuba - chap smoked one, didn't like them and gave them to me cos I smoke (cigarettes) - he doesn't - have no idea of cigars ... how are they kept? I stuck them in the fridge - should I wrap the box in cellophane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Cohiba Esplendidos 25 Box
    Price: €815.00
    http://www.jamesfox.ie/cohiba-esplendidos-25-box-p-72.html

that's them and with a couple of papers with them ... but I can tell you my mate didn't pay near that for them ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Counterfeits then I'm assuming. Have a look here...
    http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Thanks Oldgoat - got a look - it has the old seal (unapplied but in the box) with the number of the new seal, another seal unapplied inside the box and bears the 1960's hallmark underneath - afraid you could be right! ;)

Now the question is would they be any good to smoke?

• Advertisement

sligopark wrote: »

Now the question is would they be any good to smoke?

Probably not, most likely inferior leaf with a sprinking of banana is used in these fakes.

MediaTank wrote: »
    Probably not, most likely inferior leaf with a sprinking of banana is used in these fakes.

and so to be moved along :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

cuba has a unique micro climate that does give a distinctive product but al lot of dominicans are on a par these days.

cuba has a unique micro climate that does give a distinctive product but al lot of dominicans are on a par these days.

That's really a matter or personal taste rather than fact IMO.

MT

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

MediaTank wrote: »
    That's really a matter or personal taste rather than fact IMO.

MT

very true MT - personal opinion and taste is a big factor in all this - otherwise we'd all be smoking hamlets and drinking cheap whisky !

very true MT - personal opinion and taste is a big factor in all this - otherwise we'd all be smoking hamlets and drinking cheap whisky !

Too right!

Advertisement