Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing Table Varnish

Options
  • 21-07-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

We're renting an apartment with a dining table with a damaged finish as follows:

misc022.th.jpg

(Click on image for more detail)

Does anyone know how to go about repairing such a finish? Would it involve having to sand the entire top of the table, then reapplying a varnish?

Or, how much it might cost to get repaired?

Regards,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

I had a similar problem a few months back. I tried to sand it but soon realized that i would be there weeks before i got down to the scratches.
    What i ended up doing was buying a sheet of wood that matched the table. I then cut the sheet to be just bigger than the existing table top. Glued my sheet to the top of the table. Ran a router around the edges.A dap of woodstain then a splash of varnish and 'Bobs you uncle'.
    This did cost 80 euro as well i may.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

delspeed78 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem a few months back. I tried to sand it but soon realized that i would be there weeks before i got down to the scratches.
    What i ended up doing was buying a sheet of wood that matched the table. I then cut the sheet to be just bigger than the existing table top. Glued my sheet to the top of the table. Ran a router around the edges.A dap of woodstain then a splash of varnish and 'Bobs you uncle'.
    This did cost 80 euro as well i may.

Thanks for that... do you reckon a power sander might do the job, or is that what you tried?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I will take a guess and say it is either shellac or lacquer.
    Test the surface with lacquer thinner; if it liquefies, it's lacquer. If that does not work test the finish with denatured alcohol. If the finish liquefies, it's shellac. Shellac can be removed with denatured alcohol,......... lacquer with lacquer thinner, .......and a shellac-lacquer combination with a 50-50 mixture of denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner.

Advertisement