Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky+,sky aerial!! around the house

Options
  • 21-07-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

hi there,

just a quick one

we have in the house

1 sky+
    1 sky reg
    1 aerial, bbc etc

1 main TV
    3 bedroom TVS
    what is the best solution for distibuting the sky+,sky and aerial ?

the sky+ and sky boxes come into the living room via attic now.
    4 cables running from dish through attic into living room
    , 2 for sky+, 1 for sky and 1 back into attic - can connect other end into sky or sky+ and onto one of the other coaxes that are currently going into the 3 other tvs!

what I want is to be able to watch and control the sky+, sky and aerial from any / all of the tvs

at the minute all tvs have a coax and cat5 cable going from their location back to the attic.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

You'll need 5 lines for the two boxes to be working in the living room together.
    2 into Sky+ (if you want the recording functionality)
    1 into Sky Reg
    And two back into the attic (1 from each box)

Do you have any room with two co-ax coming into (except the living room)?

Edit :Or so i think - i'm not too sure on reverse splitting Co-Ax (i.e. putting two feeds together into one co-ax)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭irelandhouse

Triangle wrote: »
    You'll need 5 lines for the two boxes to be working in the living room together.
    2 into Sky+ (if you want the recording functionality)
    1 into Sky Reg
    And two back into the attic (1 from each box)

yep this is exactly what we have, at the minute I just have 1 going back into the attic > do I need 2 ?

Do you have any room with two co-ax coming into (except the living room)?
    no, all have a coax and cat 5.
    I can if needs be put in a second coax into the rooms upstairs (all come from the attic so its not a big job(

Edit :Or so i think - i'm not too sure on reverse splitting Co-Ax (i.e. putting two feeds together into one co-ax)

how do we distribute the 2 sky boxes out to the other tvs and still have control over them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

how do we distribute the 2 sky boxes out to the other tvs and still have control over them ?

Sounds extremely troublesome as you would be sending both signals from both boxes to one tv per room and sure when you'd go to change channel with the remote both boxes would change channel either via one or two magic eyes, you would need a manual switch either at the living room for separating the signal traffic or else run two coaxial cable (one for each box) with the switch before the magic eye.

My recommendation would be move one of the Sky boxes from the living room to master bedroom and run the other bedroom tvs off the main Sky Box in the living room.

~~~~~

I have recently had my attic rewired (attic storage conversion) and ran cables all over the place before it was floored and I put up a new Aerial outside for DTT and ran CAT5 and CAT7 cables around the place aswell.

I am now going to install a Labgear 4-way Home Distribution Unit from CPC which will combine my terrestrial (DTT & Analogue) with the RF out from the Sky+ HD box and distribute it to the rooms and allow each rooms infrared "magic eye" to change channel and it also has the capacity for to combine satellite feeds, FM, DAB, and CCTV down the one coax cable to each respective room.

I also plan to take the HDMI cable from my Sky+ HD box and put it through a splitter back to the TV and to a HDMI-Network Cable (CAT 7) Balun and the high-def signal will then travel over Cat7 between the living room and study before being converted back to HDMI with another balun at the Study. The RF in the study with the magic eye will provide for channel changing and send in DTT also.

All this is in the early stages but I have my plans in pace and underway and the attic conversion is now finished and I have it all pre wired with high quality TX-100 coax cable and am ordering my labgear distribution box on Tuesday. I'll post up later in the month with my results.

My wiring schematic is below also.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bilbert55

This is actually not that complicated!

All you'll need is the 4 leads into the living room to complete the system!

1 lead for sky
    1 lead for sky plus (you can buy a unit that will allow 2 sat feeds to travel down 1 lead)
    1 lead for you aerial
    and the last lead can then return your signal to the attic to be distributed.

The trick here is to combine the Sky+ & Sky RF output.
    Using the Global Sky/Sky+ Combiner will solve your probs!

http://www.tvaerials.com/product.aspx?productid=439

So connect your aerial into one of the sky boxes. Then connect the RF2 outputs from both boxes into this combiner unit (making sure that RF2 power is turned on both boxes) and from the output of this combiner - connect to your lead going back up to the attic.

Then using any of the sky distribution amps you'll have Aerial, sky and sky+ in the 3 rooms upstairs!

and the fact that sky and sky+ remote signals are different, which ever remote you use, will control that box!

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

this should really be in the:
    Cable & Digital TV > Broadcasting > satillite

section

• Advertisement
Advertisement