Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M4 junctions re-numbered

Options
  • 21-07-2009 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Probably old hat at this stage but I don't use the M4 that often so indulge me if this issue has been covered before.

Driving in from Maynooth this morning, saw the Castletown House sign with its junction 6 numbering which always puzzled me given that the junction in question was the 2A on the M4, when lo and behold, it struck me that the junctions have all been renumbered, and 2A has indeed morphed to become junction 6

Anyone got info. as to how 1-5 are set out (I can see Leixlip is 5 - where I turned off) and therefore I presume Lucan is 4 which makes the M50 junction 3 - puzzled therefore as to where junctions 1 & 2 are.

Going west, how many changes had to be made also ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

jrar wrote: »
    Probably old hat at this stage but I don't use the M4 that often so indulge me if this issue has been covered before.

Driving in from Maynooth this morning, saw the Castletown House sign with its junction 6 numbering which always puzzled me given that the junction in question was the 2A on the M4, when lo and behold, it struck me that the junctions have all been renumbered, and 2A has indeed morphed to become junction 6

Anyone got info. as to how 1-5 are set out (I can see Leixlip is 5 - where I turned off) and therefore I presume Lucan is 4 which makes the M50 junction 3 - puzzled therefore as to where junctions 1 & 2 are.

Going west, how many changes had to be made also ?

Last I saw, while the new Castletown House signs read "6", the original ADS still said "2A". Kilcock (J4) became J8 when Kinnegad-Kilcock opened while Maynooth was still J3 last I saw.

Oddest was the Leixlip junction, which up until last week was J5 westbound but still J2 eastbound...have they finally replaced those signs then?

As to 1 - 5

1=Dublin Airport, Dublin Port, Bray M50
    2=Fonthill, Clondalkin R113
    3=Lucan, Ballyown R136
    4=Lucan, Newcastle, R120
    4a=Dodsborough, Lucan R835 (they had originally planned to close this junction, hence why it originally wasn't accounted for)
    5=Leixlip R148, Celbridge R403.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Maynooth is J7 on stickers over the original signs as of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

No signs to signify the start of the M4 West or the 120kph limit yet-are these going up I wonder?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Took a spin out tonight and indeed all the original signs have been patched with the new junction numbers.

I would have thought (what with all the sign replacement going on at present on the motorway network!) the opportunity would have been taken to replace the signs. Particularly those at J5 and J7 which still date from 1994 and are now among the oldest - if not the oldest themselves - signs remaining on the motorway network. The ADS at J5 eastbound is particularly faded at this stage, while the gore sign at the same junction is no longer on its poles and is sitting upright against them on the ground!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can't think of anywhere an older sign would remain - the pre-94 M7 sections and the Dunleer BP have had major work done to them which would have had all the signs replaced and the 'old' M1 has been cut up, divided in two motorways, lost a bit, etc while the M11 has had an interchange added that needed all the signage changed...

Could be the NRA doing their bit for motorway heritage ;)

Advertisement