Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Yahoo Geocities is closing up?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I got an email saying that Yahoo Geocities is closing on October 26, 2009. I do not have a Geocities website but I frequently visit them. Why are they shutting up and will all the Geocities sites disappear?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

jcdf wrote: »
    I got an email saying that Yahoo Geocities is closing on October 26, 2009. I do not have a Geocities website but I frequently visit them. Why are they shutting up and will all the Geocities sites disappear?
    Cos it's ancient!

Out with the old, in with the new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Talisman

Yahoo thought they bagged a bargain when they snapped it up for something like $3.5 billion back in 1998/1999. The web has evolved and Geocities didn't - there's no need for Geocities when people have access to Bebo/Facebook/MySpace etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cos it's horrendous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jcdf

Talisman wrote: »
    Yahoo thought they bagged a bargain when they snapped it up for something like $3.5 billion back in 1998/1999. The web has evolved and Geocities didn't - there's no need for Geocities when people have access to Bebo/Facebook/MySpace etc.
    Yahoo made a mistake. How much do you think Geocities would be worth today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Yahoo made a mistake. How much do you think Geocities would be worth today?

Income from the ads is obviously not paying its way, so nothing or a negative amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 jcdf

laugh wrote: »
    Income from the ads is obviously not paying its way, so nothing or a negative amount.

3.5 billion to nothing or negative in less than a decade. Not as bad as the banks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Advertisement