Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy Series - Need some help understanding version numbers

Options
  • 21-07-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads. I've heard a lot about the Final Fantasy games and how good they are so I've decided to get stuck into them. Anyway, I'm the kind of man who likes to know the story from the start so I'll probably see about the set, depending on how much it is ofcourse.

I'm aware that the Final Fantasy series started before the PS and that the first game released for the PS was VII but I mean, would the developers have provided any summaries or documents ingame (like MGS) to the story before?

In terms of version numbers, would the story be in continuations like Final Fantasy VII / VII / VIII / IX etc.? Because in my searches, I came across many different games with different names.

Finally, about acquiring them, would all of PS versions be available on PSN? Or is it only VII?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

None of the stories are related to each other bar FFX and FFX-2 (FFX-2 is a spin-off). oh FFIV: the after years is a spin-off to FFIV

They're all set in their own universe with their own themes. FFVII is the only one on PSN.

I believe FF I-VI are available on wii virtual console (might be japan only). FFVII to FFIX are psone and should be easy enough to find on ebay. FFX, FFX-2, FFXII are ps2.

FFXI was an mmo.

In regards to handhelds, FFI, FFII, FFIV, FFV and FFVI were released on GBA. FFIII and FFIV were remade on DS. Square likes to milk their franchises but the DS remakes are very good.

The reason you see different FF number is because originally FF was released in Japan/US on nes. FFII & FFIII were released in Japan only. When the snes came along FFIV was released in Japan. Square wanted to release it stateside but thought people would get confused with it being called FFIV when america only had one FF so far. Square decided to release FFIV as FFII in America.

Square then released FFV in Japan but ignored america. FFVI was then released in Japan, following their policy with FFIV, it was released in US as FFIII.

When psone came along, square changed that policy by release FFVII as FFVII in all selling regions.

Now don't ask about a different JRPG franchise, Dragon Quest ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The final fantasy series is each a separate game storywise so there's no need to have played previous games. All that stays the same is some of the gameplay mechanics and even they change significantly with each game. Anyway I'll provide a summary of the series:

Final Fantasy (NES): It's very old, simplistic and archaic and really not worth bothering with. Even the remakes are very much the same.

Final Fantasy 2 (NES): A really horribly broken total mess of a game that has the worst levelling up mechanics. One of the worst RPGs ever, don't even bother.

Final Fantasy 3 (NES): First introduced the job system. The game is quite tough but the battle system is decent. Don't expect an amazing storyline. This was remade for the DS and is quite a good remake and should be the one to go for.

Final Fantasy IV (SNES): This is when the series got good. The story is okay, keeps things ticking over, but the whole game is a lot of fun and well worth playing. It was remade on the DS but it's worth playing both the DS and SNES versions since they differ in combat and storytelling and both are excellent.

Final Fantasy V (SNES): May not have the best story but has one of the best fighting systems of any JRPG. The Job system from FF3 is expanded upon. It's really excellent game well worth the time and effort. There's a fan translated SNES rom and it appeared as a remake on the PS1.

Final Fantasy VI (SNES): Quite posibly one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. This is one game you really need to play. Gorgeous graphics, beautiful soundtrack, excellent cast of characters, fantastic storyline and probably videogames best bad guy. A must play.

Final Fantasy VII (PS1): When this game came out it blew people away. Many people regard it as the best game ever but they are very wrong and clouded by nostalgia, it's not even the best final fantasy. Since you didn't experience it when it came out you will be greeted with a badly paced, messy game with one of the worst translation jobs ever and the worst battle system in a FF game since FF2. It is however a whole lot of fun so well worth playing. Just don't be surprised when you don't see what all the fuss was about. The game kind of peeks early and it's not as much fun after the first 6 hours.

Final Fantasy VIII (PS1): Most peoples major beef with this game is that the story is absolutely ludicrous and the main characters are so horrible and unlikeable. The draw and GF battle system is also dreadful. However again this game still manages to be loads of fun regardless. It's a gorgeous looking game and the soundtrack is excellent.

Final Fantasy IX (PS1): I really liked this one. It's a big throw back to FFIV. It's gorgeous, the soundtrack is excellent, I love the battle system and it's a joy to play. So what if the story is saturday morning cartoon fare, the characters are likeable and it belts along at breakneck pace. Wonderful stuff.

Final Fantasy X (PS2): Up there with FF6 as the best in the series. It has the best battle system of the whole series, the visuals are amazing, it tells a fantastic story and is basically one of the best JRPGs ever made. Absolutely unmissable. There's a sequel FF X-2 but it's not really very good at all.

Final Fantasy XI: An MMO an supposedly not a very good one. Not really a true FF game either.

Final Fantasy XII: I didn't like this game at all but many liked it. The problem with it is that it's not a true final fantasy game. The main final fantasy team had nothing to do with it and it's more a sequel of sorts to little known and excellent squaresoft game Vagrant Story. The game plays like a single player MMORPG and I hate western RPGs so it didn't sit right with me and some other FF games.

There's a load of other spin-off games but they aren't really worth bothering with. There's a load of FFVII stuff like the outwoegeously bad Advent children film and the dreadful prequel crisis core. Don't even bother.

There is one worth playing and it's Final Fantasy Tactics which is all kinds of brilliant. More of a strategy RPG but probably the best SRPG ever made. The PSP version is the one to go for.

Many people will tell you FF is the best series of JRPGs ever but it really isn't. Try some Shin Megami Tensei games, they are much better, such as Lucifers Call and Persona 3 and 4. There's other much better games like Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile, Grandia, Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc. that are more deserving of your time.

Another thing to note is the number of the series. FF2, FF3 and FF5 never made it to america so the number was changed in the American series. Here's a table.

Japan America
    FF1 FF1
    FF2
    FF3
    FF4 FF2
    FF5
    FF6 FF3
    FF7 FF7

FF7 onwards has the correct numbering.

So if you want to play FF6, you want to get the SNES FF3 game. FF6 was renamed FF3 for the american release. To make matters worse when the games were ported to the PS1 and GBA they reverted to their japanese number schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Right, cool :). I'll check out FFVII and FFX since you noted they're quite good fun. I don't have a PSP so I can't play tactics :(. I'm open minded about storylines and I'm a big fan of anime so from what I gather, the FF series would be in that category.

I think once I get broadband, I'll get FFVII off PSN and get FFX and X-2 (I don't like being left hanging :P) somewhere.

I'm glad to know that the stories are entirely different, much better for the pocket to just go for the ones regarded as good :)

I can't wait to get stuck in tbh. I've been out of the loop with RPGs in general so would be nice to get back into them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't get FFX-2. FFX is a prefectly good game all on it's own and has a perfect storyline. All FFX-2 does is piss all over it.

You really should play FFVI it's a truly great game, much better than FFVII which is only okay really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Agree with retrogamer here. If you have a ps2, go with FFX. The graphics are still acceptable and it is a fun game, very much in classical FF style. FF12 is a bit different, real-time, not very FF-esque.

If you wanna go really old-style, FF6 is a must. Played it on my psp last year. Currently playing chrono trigger on my psp too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nuts to all these FF games. You need to play through Chrono Trigger first! :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nuts to all these FF games. You need to play through Chrono Trigger first! :pac:

Sort of agree. I think FFVI is about as good but other than that chrono trigger is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I'm not pushed for graphics tbh :). I mean, the Godfather films have to be some of the best films ever while something like Minority Report is ok but not brilliant. As long as it has a good solid storyline, good gameplay then I'm happy. Graphics for me is just the icing on the cake :)

Well Chrono Trigger and FFVI just so happen to be some of the best looking 2D games ever, Chrono Trigger in particular :)

Advertisement