Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sundays

Options
  • 21-07-2009 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

A truly great band of the 90's. They never really had any chart success. Their highest singles chart position in UK was only 15 (Summertime).

After Harriet and David (sound like I'm best buds with them :o ) had kids they just decided to call it quits to raise them.

Would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions for bands/singers which have a similar style/sound.

Or any links for downloadable Sundays tracks would be particularly gratefully received. (especially Don't tell your Mother or Wild Horses)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,481 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah, really like the Sundays. Must throw their albums on my ipod for a listen, its been a few years.

Similar artists: Sixpence None The Richer, Leigh Nash (lead singer with SNTR who released a solo album), Emm Gryner....

Should be enough to get you started... Thanks for jogging my memory. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Mr E wrote: »
    Yeah, really like the Sundays. Must throw their albums on my ipod for a listen, its been a few years.

Similar artists: Sixpence None The Richer, Leigh Nash (lead singer with SNTR who released a solo album), Emm Gryner....

Should be enough to get you started... Thanks for jogging my memory. :)
    Some great songs had the sundays. But somehow debut album left me a bit underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

They have three albums available at 7digital.
    http://ie.7digital.com/artists/the-sundays/

Wild Horses was on some of the versions of Blind afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Aw, great band.
    dooferoaks wrote: »
    Would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions for bands/singers which have a similar style/sound.
    For female vocals shrouded in ethereal melodies: Lush (from the same era), Cocteau Twins. The Sundays always reminded me of The Smiths too.
    Or any links for downloadable Sundays tracks would be particularly gratefully received. (especially Don't tell your Mother or Wild Horses)
    Wild Horses was the B-side to the single Goodbye (1992). Superb version. Better than the Stones' original, in my opinion.

Dudess wrote: »
    Aw, great band.

For female vocals shrouded in ethereal melodies: Lush (from the same era), Cocteau Twins. The Sundays always reminded me of The Smiths too.

Wild Horses was the B-side to the single Goodbye (1992). Superb version. Better than the Stones' original, in my opinion.
    dont get that Smiths comparison at all. any examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

Jeesus, Lush. I had forgotten all about them. I would go dig out my tapes but I have nothing to play them on!!

After mentioning tapes I feel strangely archaic

See this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623740

I've all their stuff (apart from the stuff that was jumping on the Britpop bandwagon, which sucked) - absolutely adore them. :)
    Probably the lyrics just. They can be very black-humored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

I think "Kicked A Boy" is kind of Smiths-y.

Absolutely love the debut album, iffy after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Whoah, they were out a whole five days before the Saturdays :) Something about some of their songs is very soothing, no? That song 'Here's Where the Story Ends' has been played twice on sporting shows in the last few weeks, bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

They did use similar instrumental styles ok - strummy acoustics , open chord jangly electrics - the comparision is fairly obvious to me .

However song subject matter and vocal styles were MUCH different !

I always thought the Cranberries were an obvious comparision too.

My friend used to tour with them so I had the rhythm section around at mine for a party in the early 90s !

• Advertisement

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    They did use similar instrumental styles ok - strummy acoustics , open chord jangly electrics - the comparision is fairly obvious to me .

However song subject matter and vocal styles were MUCH different !

I always thought the Cranberries were an obvious comparision too.

My friend used to tour with them so I had the rhythm section around at mine for a party in the early 90s !
    yeah maybe from hatful of hollow era but otherwise dont think they are really that alike.

yeah maybe from hatful of hollow era but otherwise dont think they are really that alike.

I don't think they're that alike at all, but do use similar 'musical tools' .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Aw, great band.

Lush I like too, I only have Split so will have to invest in the other 2 albums. Never really got into the Cocteau Twins, maybe a fresh listen will persuade me, it must be 10 years since I have listened to them.

I have just spent the last few hours trying to find some good downloadable Sundays stuff, might have a couple of good links, I will download and let you know if they are anygood (if anyone wants them).

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I have just spent the last few hours trying to find some good downloadable Sundays stuff, might have a couple of good links, I will download and let you know if they are anygood (if anyone wants them).
    ]

Legally of course ;)

No point in robbing Harriet and David of their money to put their kids through college is there ?

Legally of course ;)

No point in robbing Harriet and David of their money to put their kids through college is there ?
    Know some female artist covered one of their singles a while back. wonder how much they made of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Love the Sundays...

Might as well post this, as it's pretty apt on the anniversary of the (fake) moon landings :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

Always reckoned this to be their finest song.

I think the Smiths comparison was all to do with the guitar, maybe the miserableness and bitterness of some of the lyrics also.

Yeah maybe with some of the smiths earlier stuff. Always thought Blur and the Kinks for the most part, were very like when it came to lyrics.

Legally of course ;)

Of course not :eek:

If there was ever a sessions or bootleg CD released I would happily part with my hard earned.

I don't think this one will effect whether they can afford new text books or not:

http://theyellowstereo.com/2006/10/the-sundays-live-performance-recording-92-repost/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

jane says wrote: »
    Always reckoned this to be their finest song.

That's funny, it's the only one on that album I don't really like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

I think "Kicked A Boy" is kind of Smiths-y.

Can't Be Sure reminds me of The Smiths as well, musically and lyrically.

Can't Be Sure reminds me of The Smiths as well, musically and lyrically.
    Yes Sundays first album had some top tunes but can we call them a truly great band. Surely that requires you to knock off more than one album. As for the smiths connection I guess you could say there were comparisons dating back to smiths first two albums but think smiths evolved a lot more with their last two albums. so many great singles as well.

Yes Sundays first album had some top tunes but can we call them a truly great band.

'No' is the answer I think.
    I do think Harriet is a great singer though.

Well whether they're a truly great band boils down to individual opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 jane says

Well, if they are not a 'truly great' (in Dunphy-speak) band (and probably no one would really argue that they are), then at least Reading Writing and Arithmetic is one of those classic albums which you really should listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Its the guitar sound and the twee englishness of the lyrics...

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I like this band, "My Finest Hour" is one of my favourite songs ever. Also like "A Certain Someone", "I Kicked A Boy", "Can't Be Sure" and "Here's Where The Story Ends".

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

theUbiq wrote: »
    Its the guitar sound and the twee englishness of the lyrics...

Not sure I have ever heard the Smiths called twee before. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

the obvious ones are mentioned already but the following have similarities in one way or another:

cranes
    curve
    The House of Love
    Madder Rose
    pale saints
    lush
    mazzy star

Advertisement