Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBS Journo course

Options
  • 21-07-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I am thinking of doing the DBS Media & Journalism part time Diploma. Does any know if it is any good?I have heard Griffith College is more highly regarded as is doing a masters. However, I cannot afford to do a Masters full time and don’t want to do one over two years. I am hoping to get freelance work and work experience while doing the part time diploma and a full time job.

I understand its a difficult time to try to get a foothold in the industry but I would like to give it a shot and would appreciate people opinions. Is it worth doing the course for the experience and to have it on my cv also...or do the editors/employers value your portfolio over this...

I have a degree in film and media from a while back. I have started a blog and have done some online reviews/event guides. I have also had one article published in a woman’s magazine. It was a small piece and unpaid so I know I have a long, long way to go. I have been reading the threads here on freelancing and found it helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hi redapple, have never heard of the DBS course which isn't a great sign. Is there a particular part of journalism you're interested in. It reads like print but just in case... Griffith College's course isn't that highly regarded, the DCU one is the most prestigious followed by DIT's one in my opinion although DCU's graduates at both BA and MA level have been slipping. I think Independent Colleges do one too, with guaranteed work experience but haven't heard great things about it TBH. Your portfolio, ability to build up a network of sources will say everything, look at Mark Little he never even finished his course but had started in RTE anyway and went from there. Writing ability is important but down the list of priorities. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Griffith do an evening course version too. its not as full as the full-time (which I have done)but good from what i hear.

As above, it really isn't too highly regraded but imo if you really work at it you'll make your own way. The whole thing is based on who you know anyway! well 10% is luck! And 10% is passion!

The course is good for building your confidence and you do get things to put in your portfolio. I'd really advise getting involved in as many things that come your way while your doing it. (i'd advise going out in your spare time and writing things, even if you try and fail to get them published, its all confidence building.)

Actual work experience is missing from Griffith but you should be able to get that on your own if want and they are more than happy to give you contacts and advice.

I'm currently working freelance and its not easy so definitly whatever you do, don't give up the day job!!

If your passionate and willing to commit to a long hard slog of rejection and frustration of how it all works then go for it.

best decision i made! believe it or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 redapple

Thanks Guys,

I hope to eventually write for tv/film/theatre. I would love to do that actually.

But to get the ball rolling I need to get a course, for, as you mentioned, the confidence, portfolio and know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Well there might be better courses for your ambition to be honest. Creativity and journalism don't really belong together TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

jdivision wrote: »
    Well there might be better courses for your ambition to be honest. Creativity and journalism don't really belong together TBH.

I agree.

Journalism doesn't allow for much creative invention especially in Newspapers. There is a structure and its essentially info gathering and presentation.
    New syles and a bit of flair is often met with contempt.

there are a few creative writing or writing for tv and film classes around. these are also quite convention loving fields so they might be better.

Plus your unlikely to meet the kind of contacts you need to get into that field if your busy trying to find news!
    And most journalism courses are news centred, for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭santosubito

The two posters are probably right. Atlhough I would say that news reporting does give you a certain discipline and tautness in your writing.
    And don't forget that David Simon, he of The Wire, spent quite a few years as a crime reporter.
    So it might not be the worst option for you.
    Good luck either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 redapple

Thanks Guys. I have a while before I have to make my decision so will be reviewing all my options first.

Advertisement