Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACCA P5 - which college?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

I am hopefully starting ACCA P5 in August and was looking for some advice from people who have sat this course in Dublin. Which college would you reccomend? I have taken classes in DBS for papers P1 to P3 and was very unimpressed with one of the lecturers I had last time round.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Yeah, it' hard to know where to go, different people will tell ya different things! One lecturer I thought was brilliant my friend really disliked and vice versa. I found DBS Lecturer for P5 quite good(Adrian Sylver) definitely one of the better lecturers I've had. Pat Daly also takes two or three of the P5 lectures to cover the strategy bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 swaaaa

i though adrian was just ok, tended to focus on the negative about the exam, doesnt fill you with confidence

i though pat daly was poor, had a bad attitude too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lesleysmyth

Pat Daly is the main reason I am thinking about moving from DBS. His attitude while teaching P3 for the June exam was dreadful. I found him to be very condecending and at times down right rude.

i had to leave one of his lectures early and he shouted some comments after me as i was leaving, very unprofessional, would not go near him for P3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Froggie01

Hi

Has DBS any status with ACCA - gold/platinum

Surely a lecturer this unprofessional cannot be tolerated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maciejowy

I went to Jim Daly in Griffith and I think he's one of the best teachers for this subject. He has great passing rates but like always it all depends on you... Definitely you should consider him.

cheers,

PS In June'08 I got 78% :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maciejowy

maciejowy wrote: »
    I went to Jim Daly in Griffith and I think he's one of the best teachers for this subject. He has great passing rates but like always it all depends on you... Definitely you should consider him.

cheers,

PS In June'08 I got 78% :)

sorry lads, actually I meant F5 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gearoid27

I disagree completely with those negative comments about Pat Daly. I think he is an excellent lecturer and would never have got through P3 without him. He's really organised and structured with good notes - probably the best lecturer I've had.

Gearoid27 wrote: »
    I disagree completely with those negative comments about Pat Daly. I think he is an excellent lecturer and would never have got through P3 without him. He's really organised and structured with good notes - probably the best lecturer I've had.

you must have been high during his class, that mans attitude is a joke

Hey swaaa, no need to be so insulting. I'm entitled to my opinion (and there are plenty more who think Pat Daly is good). Who's got the bad attitude now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I wouldn't say Pat Daly has a bad attitude as such, but commenting when people arrive late or leave early is a bit silly I think, we're all grown ups, the classes are a choice, it should be acceptable t come and go, as long as not disturbing the class. However I couldn't fault Pat on his actual lecturing ability, as Gearoid said, excellent notes, and very well structured lectures.

Gearoid27 wrote: »
    Hey swaaa, no need to be so insulting. I'm entitled to my opinion (and there are plenty more who think Pat Daly is good). Who's got the bad attitude now?

obviously a joke, anyway how would having a negative opinion about someone, with good reason, give me a bad attitude.

He shouldn't shout after me when i had to leave, i didn't make noise, i sat in the back row beside the door as i knew i had to leave to minimise the disturbance. i think he forgets its the students fees that pay his wages

Seems to me you want to blacken the guy's character over one silly incident. You should look at the big picture. Pat Daly's lecturing and his pass rates are excellent and that's what its all about. DBS gather a lot of student feedback and he would be gone long ago if he wasn't highly rated by most students. Adrian Sylver is also very good. I would strongly recommend DBS for papers P3 and P5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Monicar

Would it be safe to assume that Swaaaa failed and Gearoid passed? Personally, I found Pat Daly to be highly organised, and focused on helping people pass (which I did).

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

I took Adrian Sylver's F5 class in DBS and I found him to be an excellent lecturer. I failed F5 initially and wasn't very confident about the subject. I must say, when I first met him in class, he kinda put me off, the way he speaks and stuff was kinda boring but after a few weeks, I kinda got used to his style and he actually did a really good job prepping everyone for the exam. I got near 70% in the exam and didn't find the exam difficult at all. Too bad he's not covering P5 as I'm thinking of taking P5 this Feb.

Advertisement