Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

acer laptop?

Options
  • 21-07-2009 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Im looking for a new laptop and am researching the usual brands, i can spend up to a thousand euro but would prefare something around 600-700 euro. i have found a decent enough sony, and a HP but i was wondering what acer are like? are they any good? i use laptops mostly for music storing, watching movies, i wouuld do a fair bit of downloading. and some game playing. i need something thats able to keep up, as previous laptops just havnt cut it, and end up stalling or freezing. and within a month or two end up slowing down big time. i have an external HDD so its not like the memory was overly full and i use minimal enough software. so im looking for something with high memory and a good processor. any suggestions? last laptop was a compaq and i dont think ill go there again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

i am also considering buying an acer laptop - surely someone has an opinion on it?? - good or bad.......

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

Isn't it big?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My main computer is an Acer laptop- its the 8930G.
    I've upgraded the hard-drive (its now 2x500Gb), added an Avermedia A310 tv tuner, and changed the processor to a T9600.

Its a lovely machine- I'd highly recommend Acer to anyone. Its the same company as Gateway etc- their all just different brandnames now.

The Acers come speced with 4Gb of RAM as standard- and if you buy now- you get a free upgrade cert for Windows 7!

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭mcw92

acers are good machines.
    we have a Acer Aspire 6935G
    its great.
    it have great features and hasnt had a problem in four months.
    they are a good price an high spec compared to others similarily priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

smccarrick wrote: »
    The Acers come speced with 4Gb of RAM as standard- and if you buy now- you get a free upgrade cert for Windows 7!

S.

Do you know if this free upgrade cert applies to all shops such as PC World, Powercity etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

My experience with Acer was rather bad - constant problems with components - but it was a low end machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭marcphisto

I have an Acer Travelmate 7730G and my only gripe is that the fan gets loud when I play Football Manager. Build quality is solid and everything just works as expected.

I suppose the best endorsement I could give it is when I bought a netbook I was deciding between the Acer Aspire One and the Samsung NC10 and I went with the Acer because of my experience with my current laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JIMMYMOONSHINE

i have an Acer laptop and i find it very good i never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

check online reviews for particular laptops.
    People's experiences with them vary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭burtyburr

I think going down the online review route is the way to go. PcWorld(The Magizine) does a decent job of both editer reviews and user comments.
    On a personal note I work in PcSolutions in Wexford. My experience might be biased as we have a large number of outlets in the area selling Acers.
    Its gotten to the stage in work where we are fighting over the chance to fix something OTHER than Acers. I have to point out that it mainly the low to mid range. As I type this I have 2 Extensa 5220's, 2 Aspire's 2051's(Turion) and a couple of Travelmates and thats just what I have brought home from work.As a result of this I dont think I will ever buy an Acer.
    If you are spending up to a grand then I think I would be looking at Tosibha or another maker with a good build reputation.
    And no matter what you get make sure to include it with your house contents insurance. Just a tip in case it all goes pear shaped.

• Advertisement

PGL wrote: »
    Do you know if this free upgrade cert applies to all shops such as PC World, Powercity etc?

You register the product on the Acer website- depending on when it was manufactured you may be asked for a sales receipt to prove when you purchased it- but yes, it applies to all outlets selling Acer Vista products.

burtyburr wrote: »
    I think going down the online review route is the way to go. PcWorld(The Magizine) does a decent job of both editer reviews and user comments.
    On a personal note I work in PcSolutions in Wexford. My experience might be biased as we have a large number of outlets in the area selling Acers.
    Its gotten to the stage in work where we are fighting over the chance to fix something OTHER than Acers. I have to point out that it mainly the low to mid range. As I type this I have 2 Extensa 5220's, 2 Aspire's 2051's(Turion) and a couple of Travelmates and thats just what I have brought home from work.As a result of this I dont think I will ever buy an Acer.
    If you are spending up to a grand then I think I would be looking at Tosibha or another maker with a good build reputation.
    And no matter what you get make sure to include it with your house contents insurance. Just a tip in case it all goes pear shaped.

It all boils down to personal experience. I swore I would never buy a Sony laptop- I must have replaced over 40 screens while on our helpdesk- all in Sonys. As for Toshiba- well, we sent our fair share back to the distributor. Even the Panasonic Toughbooks- ended up with burnt out video controllers.

If you focus on supporting a particular product range- you will find any problems that are going with it.

I worked for Dell for 2 years- despite having a staff discount I never bought any of their products. My little sis has gone through a string of them since- without any probs whatsoever.

Most laptops come off the same assembley lines- some builders making systems for 7 or 8 different brandnames. This is no reflection on the individual brandnames- its simply acknowledgement of how commoditised laptops now are. There are very few differences between the different products- when you compare similarly spec'ed models from different manufacturers.

Make a wish list of what you would most like in your new laptop- and go see which laptops tick most of the items- and which is best value- and go read a few online reviews.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

My sister got one of them "mini-laptops" from Acer at Xmas. Nothing but trouble with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭notso-quiet1

hey, thanks for replies, went to pcworld and the sales guy was really annoyingly pushing the acer on me, so left with a HP Dv3-2100. really good little machine lol.

Advertisement