Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boffer eeepc 900 £110

Options
  • 21-07-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.boffer.co.uk/
    Asus Eee Pc Netbook 8.9in M353 900 1GB SDRAM 16GB SDD
    £109.99
    Delivery: £2.99
    Condition: As New
    Warranty: 1 Year

not sure what total price works out as and is not the atom

* ASUS Eee PC netbook mobile computer
    * Built-in Solid State Disk (SSD) technology for quiet operation,energy saving and shock proof mobility
    * New perspectives with 8.9 inch display
    * Different environments for different needs
    * 1.3 Megapixel webcam built in

Main Specifications

* Product Description: ASUS Eee PC 900 - Celeron M 353 900 MHz - 8.9" TFT
    * Dimensions (WxDxH): 22.5 cm x 17 cm x 3.4 cm
    * Weight: 0.99 kg
    * System Type: Netbook
    * Built-in Devices: Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial
    * Processor: Intel Celeron M 353 / 900 MHz ULV
    * Cache Memory: 512 KB - L2 Cache
    * RAM: 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    * Card Reader: Yes
    * Hard Drive: 16 GB Solid State Drive
    * Display: 8.9" TFT 1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )
    * Audio Output: Sound card
    * Networking: Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
    * Notebook Camera: Integrated - 1.3 Megapixel
    * Input Device: Keyboard, touchpad
    * Power: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
    * Operating System: Linux

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

no wireless card ? just the aerial?

all the same not bad for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

hick wrote: »
    no wireless card ? just the aerial?

all the same not bad for the money
    Networking: Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

The last two would indicate wireless support

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not shabby at all for the price.. especially with the SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Condition: As New -

This is second hand. I am not sure if this is what people are looking at but I would worry about what condition it was in.

Baraboo wrote: »
    Condition: As New -

This is second hand. I am not sure if this is what people are looking at but I would worry about what condition it was in.
    The term "As New" would indicate the condition is "as new".

If there was any visual defects on it, they'd have to give it a Grade (Grade A, B, C etc) depending on how bad it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

This is the less desirable Celeron powered 900 rather than the Atom powered 901. Battery life is quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Very tempted. For that price like....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Recertified as new? Usually boffer only offer 90 days on refurbished stuff I think, so I guess this would be almost as good as new? Hard to know though, would guess these should be perfect as new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Comes in at just under €140 with £7 surcharge for delivery to Ireland. Sounds pretty good. I've seen some user reviews/videos of this running Win7, and reports look decent enough. Anyone taken the plunge yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I have the newer model 1008ha - very good for everyday basic computing on the go. Email, surfing, documents etc. and when the 900 was the main model it had very good reviews.

ASUS is one of the better brands in netbooks / laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I have this exact model (albeit with 2 ssds, 4gb and 16gb).

The only problem with it is the battery life. I'm lucky to get 2 hours on it.

Aside from that, savage wee netbook. Currently running windows 7 on it. Smooth as you like.

For that price, I'm tempted to grab another.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I imagine you can get a higher capacity battery for these cheaply enough if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thanks OP. Just what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I own one, be careful, it is fine for what it is, but UK units shipped with a 4400mAh battery, which, realistically, lasts just over 90 minutes, away from the mains, with wifi on etc.

The chipset\CPU also drains power, at a rate of roughly 5-10% per day. This is a known hardware bug that was never rectified on the 900, it was with the 900A 901 and up.. Basically, if you have it fully charged and lying around for a few days, you'll get next to no use when using it on batteries the next time. The solution is to remove the battery when putting the laptop away for extended periods, when you don't have access to the mains.

The Celeron trumps the Atom for video playback and various other tasks, this has been shown with pure benchmarking. Do not rely on frequency alone when comparing Intel CPU's... The Celeron and Atom are two different kind of beasts. It may be old, but still gives the 900A/901 Eee Atom a run for its money.

The Atheros wifi card is supported in Backtrack. (Linux)

You can boot from the SD and USB slots.

The trackpad has multitouch. (pinch, rotate, zoom, two finger scroll etc..)

Works fine with XviD DivX rips.

Great sound off the 900. The speakers can be used as Radio type speakers when used with Delicast etc. You can be seated a fair bit away from it, there's a nice punch to the sound, without being shrill. In my opinion the speakers in subsequent Eee models have got worse.

Playing Starcraft on this is a very odd experience, playing Quake III Arena on this is a very odd experience.. just.. so dinky. Can handle more powerful games on low settings.

Sturdy, with the SSD, it can fall off a bed etc, not a bother to it. A more discreet and better build than the 901, in my opinion.

Just to sum up the negatives. So so battery performance. No bluetooth. No 'N' wifi.

---

The default Linux installed is basic and fairly annoying. Consider installing the normal Ubuntu, or the Netobook Remix of Ubuntu, but the Netbook Remix still has a few issues to work out, namely the laggy main menu. I never had problems with a full Ubuntu install, it just needs some tweaking.

Potential 900 owners should browse the following forums. Friendly, down to earth and helpful bunch, a large group of (mostly) happy Eee owners.. :)

http://forum.eeeuser.com/index.php

---

A nice buy, for what it is, a big improvement over the 700/701. The 'proper' screen resolution makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Just a quick non-related (ish) query:

Anyone know where I can buy the Atom powered 901 with as big a SSD as possible (~ 20gig) ? Most places online don't seem to have it available.

Thanks,

CJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

Whats the link to this - i went onto the boffer site but cannot see it

jamesd wrote:
    Whats the link to this - i went onto the boffer site but cannot see it
    It was only up til midnight last night.. and then it's replaced by something else. Boffer do a deal daily.

Marked as expired.

The offer is over. There is a set number of items, and the offer is over either when all items are gone, or after 24 hours.

A new item is posted at midnight every evening/morning. They have some binoculars up now, you can see the timer has about 9.5 hours left on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Thanks for the update basquille,

Look like the Samsung is back on my list....
    basquille wrote: »
    It was only up til midnight last night.. and then it's replaced by something else. Boffer do a deal daily.

Marked as expired.

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update basquille,

Look like the Samsung is back on my list....

Consider putting the Asus Eee 1005HA on your shortlist as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Just a quick non-related (ish) query:

Anyone know where I can buy the Atom powered 901 with as big a SSD as possible (~ 20gig) ? Most places online don't seem to have it available.

Thanks,

CJ
    Hey CJ,
    You can try here:
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1593510&productID=S5712688

There's no reason why you shouldn't be ablw to pick up the Windows 901 for about 285 euro. Let me have a root..

Just a heads up, the average price for Windows Eee 901's on http://www.adverts.ie has been just over 200 euro. No harm in putting in a WTB (want to buy) or just lurking.

Very happy with the 2 of these little yokes i picked up. While the built in OS is pretty simple I'd prefer xp. However I don't have an external cd drive so I'll leave it off for a while.

Thanks OP ! Great bargain!

Looking forward to mine too, was delivered yesterday, but won't get my paws on it 'till the weekend. What kind of condition was yours in, does it look like new?

Thinking of installing the Win7 RC myself, heard it runs pretty well, and I think it will continue to work until March next year. I've heard that XP isn't great with SSD drives. Planning on using an IDE>USB adaptor with an internal DVD player to carry out the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Got mine delivered last Friday and have to say am delighted. Quite nifty and easy to use. Haven't decided what to put on it yet as the Linux is quite handy.
    Battery life seems okay , although haven't used it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Got mine last week,..for the wife ;) absolutly perfect as it stands so before folk attrempt to install XP or W7 on these things remember it only has an 16GB SSD installed, the linux OS is just fine & works very well on this unit, perfect infact,..I don't see the logic in messing around with the OS at all really....just my opinion.

lensman wrote: »
    ... remember it only has an 8GB SSD installed...

The product description said there was 16 GB installed - are you sure you only got 8 GB? Did you get the Acer Aspire the previous week?

http://www.boffer.co.uk/blog/view.php?boffer_id=927

polyfusion wrote: »
    Looking forward to mine too, was delivered yesterday, but won't get my paws on it 'till the weekend. What kind of condition was yours in, does it look like new?
    The boxes on both had been ripped open and taped back together. But the contents of both boxes were like they'd never been opened. :P

Edit: It's 16Gb and the linux OS is fairly limiting

polyfusion wrote: »
    The product description said there was 16 GB installed - are you sure you only got 8 GB? Did you get the Acer Aspire the previous week?

http://www.boffer.co.uk/blog/view.php?boffer_id=927
    my mistake, it does have a 16GB SSD, no did'nt go for the acer last week, wife only expressed an interest in a netbook after the acer boffer ended,..typical :mad:,..I'm sorry I did'nt boffer 2 of these Asus when they were there,.keeping a close eye for them to come up again.;)

• Advertisement

Bill-e wrote: »
    The boxes on both had been ripped open and taped back together. But the contents of both boxes were like they'd never been opened. :P

Edit: It's 16Gb and the linux OS is fairly limiting
    care to flog 1 ? :o

Advertisement