Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of Entitlement for Back to School Allowance

Options
  • 20-07-2009 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I have been claiming Job Seekers Benefit for the last 12 months and I am returning to college in September to do a Masters, can't sit around and wait for the tide to turn any longer!
    Just wondering about the age requirement though which is 24. I turn 24 during the year of the Masters but will not be 24 by September.
    Does anyone know if I could put in a claim when I turn 24 or would they accept my application based on the fact that I will be turning 24 during the year?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Do you mean Back to Education Allowance?

I am going to copy this over to the Mature/Non Traditional Students forum as it might get an answer from someone who has gone through the same situation, but by the looks of it, you have to be 24 at the time of the application.

If you have been on Jobseekers benefit for the past 12 months, you are likely to get cut off that fairly soon

More information on Back to Education Allowance can be found here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 catxxx

Oh yeah sorry I meant Back to Education Allowance!

Any one know if I could apply during the year when I turn 24??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭PeterLT

catxxx wrote: »
    Oh yeah sorry I meant Back to Education Allowance!

Any one know if I could apply during the year when I turn 24??

"To qualify for the Back to Education Allowance, you must be at least 21 years of age (24 years of age for a third-level postgraduate course)".

I think you fit here, but I would contact the college you are applying and ask them to be sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can apply but masters aren't covered by the btea

Advertisement