Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish mythology question

Options
  • 20-07-2009 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Do you know the story of Fionn mac Cumhaill, whom picked up a clod of earth to throw at a fleeing giant; the spot where the clod was, becomes Lough Neagh; while the clod thrown becomes the Isle of Man?

I remember another one: where 2 brothers or something were in a boat race to the coast, and the one that was loosing chopped off his hand and flung it to the shore ahead of the other one?
    What is that myth?
    I'm trying to source it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

RedPlanet wrote: »
    I remember another one: where 2 brothers or something were in a boat race to the coast, and the one that was loosing chopped off his hand and flung it to the shore ahead of the other one?
    What is that myth?
    I'm trying to source it.

Apparently that's where the Red Hand of Ulster comes from. I can't remember the exact story but I know it goes along these lines: At the time there were no ruler of Ulster so it was decided that a boat race would take place between two potential kings, with the first to set their hand on the soil the winner. After seeing the land for the first time while in the race, the man in last place remembered how much he loved his homeland, so in desperation he cut off his hand and threw it ashore to claim his prize.

I'll look it up for you and see if I can get any more details, but that's what I can remember of it.

Advertisement